Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted a Cheweenie Puppie about 1 Month ago, she is now about 5 month old. She is a real sweetheart and brings a lot fun and Joy in our Family. The only problem we have is that we can't get her to stop making her little puppie needs in the house. We have also 2 Cats and in the beginning she made her business right next to the cat litter, what I thought was kind of normal because she adopted the Cats as a new Pack. Then she started to do it in every single room and last night she peet on our Bed. I exersice her every day twice in the Morning about 45 min and at night about 15/30 min. She does her business then too if she has the need. But I don't know what to do that she lets me know she has to go outside. I know her business hours so I bring her out when it is about time and she is in the Yard a lot with me too because I am a smoker so I take her with me. I don't know what I do wrong and I would be so happy if I could het help.

EDIT : Sorry i just saw the sticky .... I did read it it and we do already what they recoment to do give her an Awart is she does her business outside she sleeps in a crate and is never unwatched so we do already everything we can ( but accident happen )

Does someone has any Tips how to train her that she lets me know she has to go outside?
We always had Dogs, but i don't want to use my Dads or Stepfathers training methods

·
Registered
291 Posts
WHen you adopted her, were you told her history. Was she an inside dog or an outside dog? At 5 months she will not have bladder control yet so there will be accidents.
We have good success by training pups to wee on newspaper and then gradually move the paper towards the door and then outside. Try and catch her in the act and rush her onto the paper. You may need paper in each room to start.
Crate her at night but wake up at least once and take her outside.
If , in the day, you are unable to watch her 100% of the time, either tether her to you , or a piece of furniture in your view, or crate her.
She will need to go outside every 1 - 2 hours and immediately after waking from a sleep and after eating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a dog trainer and a service dog trainer. I have a paper on Secrets to Housebreaking. if you are interested I can give you 10 things you would have to follow to have a successful housebreaking. Which your puppy can be housebroken in 2- 7 days. The first and most important thing is the puppy should never have full run of the house. She should be on leash with you at all times that will develope bonding and leadership you are head of her pack. Crate her when you can't supervise her or be with you at all times. Crating helps with housebreaking.When you allow a puppy full run of the house then the puppy will go in the house. Use the same door when taking her out to go eventually she will let you know when she needs to go out. If she hasn't gone within 15min. take her in crate her then take her out 30 min. later (you don't want her to get any indeas she can go inside). Clean urine smells with white vinager so the puppy can't smell it or have repeats in same areas.
Jenelle- Special Canines With Purpose

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The pup shouldn't be unsupervised that she is able to go off and relieve herself someplace you don't want her to. You should make sure you're taking her out to an appropriate place often enough that she has less need to go in the house, and do tons and tons of positive reinforcement when she goes in the correct place.

I'd also watch the pup around cat litter! Aside from the grossness of litterbox grazing, many dogs will also eat cat litter, which can clump up and wreck havoc on their digestive systems. You should try to keep the litter boxes someplace where the dog cannot get to them! We have one of ours upstairs (the dog does not go upstairs), and four in the basement (the cats go through a cat door to get into the basement).

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I know you said she is "never unwatched". But, it's not just watching, you have to be close enough to her so that you are able to scoop her up if she starts to sniff around too much or squat. If you're on the other side of the room, or too far away, it doesn't help.
I tell people it's like when a human baby learns to crawl or walk. The parents kind of follow along behind them. Do the same with the puppy.

And, clean any previous messes with an enzymatic cleaner, not just a regular cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts