Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 week old Scottish Terrier pup named Stella. We've had her home for about a week. She is not my first dog, but the puppies I've had in the past have been relatively easy to housebreak, and this is not the case with Stella! I'm just looking for suggestions to make this process go more smoothly.

We have a pretty good routine going in the morning and late evening. She sleeps in her crate at night next to my bed, and usually sleeps about 6 hours. Sometimes she has accidents in the crate, sometimes not. We wake up and go straight outside, where she always pees and poops. Then we come back in, play a bit, and she has breakfast. Then back out until she pees. Then back in to start the day, and we usually take a little walk, where she usually pees again. Then back home. It is at this point in the day that our schedule goes off the rails until dinner time, when she is for the most part back on track with pottying outside.

Stella is GOGOGO all day long, with the exception of a nap sometime in the afternoon. During the day I try to take her out about every half hour, but she still pees in the house multiple times. I think she sometimes does not empty her bladder completely when she does go. I was praising during her voiding outside, but I've started waiting until the second she finishes to avoid distracting her. She poops 4 times a day, and that is mostly always outside now.

I've been feeding her meals in the morning and evening, and using the rest of her daily ration as treat rewards throughout the day. I generally only crate her at night and if we need to leave her home alone, but she is always supervised indoors and only allowed to play on the wood floor area of our house. Outdoor elimination is ALWAYS rewarded with food and praise, and indoor elimination is corrected with a sharp "NO" and she's taken immediately outside.

What can I do differently to decrease her accidents? I think she knows that we want her to potty outside, because she now looks to me for her treat after she goes. What can I do to get her peeing more on a schedule during the middle of the day? Is this just a matter of letting her body mature a bit and improving her bladder control?

Thanks for reading, and for any tips you can offer!

·
Registered
13 Posts
id say more consistency and more potty time

rule of thumb for puppies

# months old + 1 = # of hours puppy can hold potty

in short, id take her out every 2 hours even if she doesn't look like she doesn't have to go and after meals. If she doesn't go, play for 5-10 min then try again till she goes. The big part is that someone needs to be taking her out while sleeping.

Once she does it in the crate, it tends to be a huge setback in training.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id say more consistency and more potty time

rule of thumb for puppies

# months old + 1 = # of hours puppy can hold potty

in short, id take her out every 2 hours even if she doesn't look like she doesn't have to go and after meals. If she doesn't go, play for 5-10 min then try again till she goes. The big part is that someone needs to be taking her out while sleeping.

Once she does it in the crate, it tends to be a huge setback in training.

I will work on taking her out during the night, but that hasn't been a big issue. I think she's only peed in the crate during the night once in the week she's been home, and I think she did it as I was getting up to take her out.

During the day I have to take her out much more frequently than every two hours. Sometimes she does hold it longer than that, but other times she pees 3 times in an hour. I can't seem to get a handle on her body's "schedule".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
out of curiosity, is water free roam?

also if pup is going in the same place, using an enzyme cleaner or the like?
Water is free choice throughout the day, but I take it up an hour or two before bedtime. Should I put her on a watering schedule? If so, how frequently should I offer it?

She doesn't go in the same spots. She is gated into our kitchen/living room (open floor plan) where the wood floors are, and she often goes to an edge of the room, but sometimes she'll just pee whereever she happens to be. I have not been using an enzyme cleaner, just a bleach wipe and our normal floor cleaner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't had a lot of experiences with Scotties...actually none unless you count my sisters Poms...lol....but my 6 mos lab-mix pups are REALLY good about outdoors potty time. I used paper towels to absorb their waste when they were little and placed it outside where I wanted them to go and they took to the idea. I think firedude has something in the water ration idea. I don't allow the pups to have water after 8pm, bedtime is 10PM and they are potty walked at 6AM. I also used charcoal to minimize the "repeat accident" spots! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes, give water with her meal, and maybe after extensive play time or a hot time outside, but be prepared to take her out afterwards at an appropriate time.

since she is fine with pooping outside on a regular feeding schedule, doing the same with water should have a similar effect

EDIT:since you give two meals + kibble treats throughout the day, give her some water mid day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts