Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a 1 year old beagle about a month ago. She was doing great up until this week. When I am at work she has not had a single accident; however the last couple of days she has been peeing on the floor multiple times a day even if I just walked her. This is only happening when I am home though. I do not think it is a health issue because she does great if I am not here... any advice on how to get her to stop? Crating is an absolute last resort as she spent much time in kennels and is terrified of the crates.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
While she has been fine when alone, I would get her checked for a UTI.

Question: Could she be submissive peeing IF she is doing it in your presence and when you lean over her or do something with her. If she is terrified of crates she may also be afraid of people, including you (she has only been there a month).

If the peeing is not submissive peeing, then the next thing is to take her out on a 15 minute schedule. Praise and reward with GOOD food when she pees outside.

Another question: How is she at night? Where does she sleep at night if she is fine? If she is fine through the night and out of your presence, then it may be your presence that is the issue (not saying this to be mean; but if she is a fearful dog and you speak loudly or argue on the phone or simply talking to other ppl in the house that can trigger her fear).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While she has been fine when alone, I would get her checked for a UTI.

Question: Could she be submissive peeing IF she is doing it in your presence and when you lean over her or do something with her. If she is terrified of crates she may also be afraid of people, including you (she has only been there a month).

If the peeing is not submissive peeing, then the next thing is to take her out on a 15 minute schedule. Praise and reward with GOOD food when she pees outside.

Another question: How is she at night? Where does she sleep at night if she is fine? If she is fine through the night and out of your presence, then it may be your presence that is the issue (not saying this to be mean; but if she is a fearful dog and you speak loudly or argue on the phone or simply talking to other ppl in the house that can trigger her fear).
She sleeps curled up next to me in bed most nights and dosen't move until I get up. She seems to adore people but I have noticed that she is getting more timid as she is setting in so there may be some underlying trauma involved.

·
Banned
166 Posts
The few bagels i've had the pleasure of making acquaintances with were quite reserved when it came to meeting strangers. When i first got my pup, i listened to all the new age gurus that said socialization was among the most important thing for a new dog. Sounded good but now i'm not so sure. My dog seems to be a tad too friendly with everyone, even those that strike me as undiserabels, of course thats not necessarily a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, by no means i want a vicious dog but leaving a little to the imagination would be nice. One of my many reasons for wanting a dog was it to be a watch dog, not an attack dog mind you but at least a deterent to keep the bad guys guessing. I'm hoping when the dog becomes an adult, its protective instincts will kick in and become much more reserved with strangers...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts