Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two daschunds. One male that is 3 years old and one female that is 4 years old. The issue I'm having is with housebreaking my female.

I started them both of wee wee pads when they were puppies. They both did great. Then because I live in a small apartment I didn't want to smell their mess on the pads anymore so I started training them to go outside. I hung bells by all the doors so they could tell me when they had to go. Here's my dilemma though…my male dog is absolutely GREAT. He always rings the bell and waits to get let out then runs out goes potty and runs back in, he never has accidents. He picked it up super fast. But with my female she just hasn't picked up the bell thing. If she is not constantly on leash she will go over by the steps and poop or pee. Sometimes I will see her over by the door and I will say do you have to go potty?? then I make her ring the bell and let her out. She usually goes outside, especially after Dylan goes..but the problem is she doesn't let us know when she has to go. So we keep her on leash in the house now and let her out when we let him out but how do I get her to let me know?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
First off, don't expect her to get the idea to only go outside, not inside, AND to let you know first. Get a kitchen timer (the dollar store has them) and take her out often. Every 20 minutes if you need to. Each time she goes potty outside, praise her and give her a treat. Keep her on the leash or watch her like a hawk, the second she goes to the area she usually goes in, take her outside right away. Every time. Also make sure that area is cleaned properly so it doesn't retain any smell. If you can block it off with gates for a while so it's not an option for her, do it. Barring that make that spot where she gets fed and put her bed etc. there so she's less likely to want to go there.

If you catch her starting to pee, yell her name to get her attention (don't scare her to death but startle her, and only if she's going) then take her outside. But the goal is to get her out before she has to pee in the house, so use a timer to keep reminding yourself to let her out more often. She's an adult so it might be every hour, but adjust it so she's going out often enough to not make any mistakes in the house.

My guys don't usually let me know they have to go out, I just let them out often throughout the day. Personal choice, I don't want them demanding to go in, and out, and in, and out constantly.

Lana

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea with the timer..will def do that. I will steam clean that area and start feeding them there too. I guess I expected too much because shes older and figured she would catch on to what he does, but she hasn't. So I will break it down for her. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My dogs don't ring a bell - mostly because I don't want to hear it all day. Once they are reliably trained you can just let them out every so often and be just fine. If my dogs knew they could ring a bell and go outside - they would never stop. They would ring it just to go outside without needing to go.

Go with what is previously mentioned about watching her, leashing her and setting the timer.
With cleaning the area use an enzymatic cleaner in order to get out everything. Steam won't reliably get out all the odor so the dog may go back there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bell works great in my situation, I live in a basement apartment and the main door is down a long hallway so I'm able to hear the bell perfect. My male dog only rings it when he has to go, he is GREAT with it. He doesn't ring it all day long when he just wants to go outside, so he knows it only for potty. Just want her to do that as well. Will def try everything mentioned, I am determined to get this down. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts