Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week we got our puppy to go on the wee wee pads, it was going great and thought he was housebroken. Then last week he just refused to use it. I had to hold him on there and he would leap away and for some reason would even pee right next to it instead of on it. The only way he would pee or poop on it is if I held him there. Today he went again on his own, about 2-3x but again i put him on there when I know he will go, I wait and nothing. He then tries biting the wee wee pad and going crazy.

I had to take him to the vet last week for another round of vaccinations and also to give a feces sample to do a test on it, and asked her about this and said it's normal. But has anyone else had this happen and would you suggest anything else? Yesterday he ripped a piece of the plastic off and i had to take it out of his mouth, im afraid of leaving it in his play den now. I have read on here some people saying that they use a litter box for puppies now, never heard about this until recently but do you think this would be better.

For now I'll continue to start the way i did in the beginning which i don't mind, im not annoyed by this at all and know he is just a puppy, i have a lot of patience with him. But wondering why he would stop after he was doing so well. Maybe I should move it to another spot?

·
Registered
296 Posts
get rid of the wee wee pads all together. i hate those things... why teach a dog to pee in your house in the first place? and when the wee wee pads go away, suddenly every area rug in your house is a "wee wee pad"
there are many threads on here about how to quickly and effectively housebreak a dog, so i will not sit here and repeat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get rid of the wee wee pads all together. i hate those things... why teach a dog to pee in your house in the first place? and when the wee wee pads go away, suddenly every area rug in your house is a "wee wee pad"
there are many threads on here about how to quickly and effectively housebreak a dog, so i will not sit here and repeat.
well for now I have to since I can't take him out, he doesn't have all his vaccinations yet. Trust me that I can't wait to take him for walks but for another month he has to pee indoors.

My main question was if it's normal for them to stop all of a sudden after they were doing it. In the end I asked if anybody had any other methods, but thanks i've read a few threads about what worked for others and saw mixed results but guess i'll just read the sticky threads.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Who says you cannot take your puppy outside because he does not have all his vaccines yet?
unless you live in some really grungy city with a parvo outbreak, that's obsurd. I wouldnt take him to dog heavy trafficked areas, but unless you want a crazy neurotic dog afraid of walking on grass, you need to take your puppy outside.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree -- you can take him outside, just not to the dog parks.

Definitely would not recommend wee wee pads - it sets up a bad conditioning scheme.

Even though it's only a month, your dog will see it's surroundings, and that it's ok to go inside designated surroundings.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Take him outside. Find a spot outside and use it. By being fearful of exposing him to disease before he has had all his shots not only are setting his housebreaking back big time but you are also losing out on his socialization window. A puppies most important socialization happens during 7-14 weeks. Anything he has not been positively exposed to during this period can become a long term fear. Years ago vets told people not to risk it but then realized that the long term effects of improper (or lack of ) socialization in puppies had greater adverse effects (behaviourally and physically) long term than the small risk of infection.

Don't go to areas where a lot of dogs congregate (like dog parks) and avoid feces if it is on the area you are in. But you NEED, in fact it is IMPERATIVE, that you introduce your puppy to the world. People of all shapes sizes and descriptions (in hats, tall, short, all races, wearing sunglasses, with umbrellas, with beards, with crutches, wheelchairs, children, cars, sounds, statues, concrete, grass, sidewalk grates, sounds etc etc etc). Service dogs start their socialization with the world as young as 8 weeks and prior to that are exposed to heat, cold, being tipped head down, being touched, different smells and different noises, substrates etc. This is what helps make them "bombproof" as trainees and adults.

Check out the other housetraining threads for the exact ways to teach your puppy to go outside and to reward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet told me not to take him out for walks yet. He has gone out but ive had to hold him, it was for a very short period of time such as taking him to the vet or going to my in-laws. I've been really wanting to take him out and hated that i've had to wait so thanks ill definitely take him out a little. I was worried since right by where I live there are a lot of ppl with dogs who walk them so didn't want to risk anything.

He is very social, we have ppl over all the time and the moment the doorbell rings he gets so excited and he is the best greeter, even if he never met them before he gets so excited and plays with them. Luckily he also has gotten used to noises and doesn't effect him at all, i live in NYC and he hears car alarms, horns honking, sirens and doesn't bother him at all. Even when i was out with him none of the noises freaked him out.

I'll take him out, ill probably just walk to a more isolated area and be very careful.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The vet told me not to take him out for walks yet.
I don't think you should take him for walks yet, either, but you can take him out in the yard and walk around a little so he can learn to relieve himself outside. Keep him in a small area in your yard. Take some poo bags with you and stand outside and let him go. Praise him like crazy and then go back inside. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think you should take him for walks yet, either, but you can take him out in the yard and walk around a little so he can learn to relieve himself outside. Keep him in a small area in your yard. Take some poo bags with you and stand outside and let him go. Praise him like crazy and then go back inside. :)
I don't have a yard, otherwise i would've loved to done that at least. Im trying to think where I can take him around here. Thank you

·
Registered
86 Posts
He needs to be socialized with things that are outside, otherwise he may become scared of the most standard things (flag poles, people, dogs, etc) They can start out not scared, but if you don't continue the socializing then it could back track.

I think if there is any way that you can take him out that would be a great idea. I saw on tv that they have this grass that grows on concreate. Would be a neat idea to try.

My first dog came paper trained, and it was horrible trying to get her to switch over. I struggled with puppy pads for years and then gave up and made the choice to take away the pee pads one day and MADE her go outside to do her buisness no option. I think what you are experiencing is normal, she is a puppy and will go ahead 2 steps and back one. I found that my dog when she was really little would go on the pad if she had already used it but not if it was a fresh one. I think she needed the scent. They have the scent sprays that you could try using to spray on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't have a yard, otherwise i would've loved to done that at least. Im trying to think where I can take him around here. Thank you
any specific spot outdoors will work. Even if it's 10 steps out your front door it's better than inside.
most people living in apartments, even high rises dont have yards, yet they successfully take their puppies outside to potty.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Make some sort of enclosure for the pee pad. You can use a box, a wire crate, etc. Just make sure the pup can get in and out of it on his own. Having the pad INSIDE a barrier prevents the puppy from coming near the pad to eliminate.

And you can also use a litter box, with either cat litter or wood shavings in it. Same thing. It needs to be enclosed so that the pup can not make a mistake when he goes in to use it.

This is a good time to begin to carefully reward the pup for elimination, and to put it on a verbal command. So stand nearby, as I'm sure you do, and use your cue word when the pup is eliminating. For example, I say "go peepee" to my puppies while they are urinating, and as soon as they are done I give them a tasty reward. Puppies will learn quickly that emptying gets them a reward, and that the verbal cue means to empty, so that you can collect your reward!

How old is your puppy and what breed?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Max22--we're having the same problem where our dog will go on the puppy pads but sometimes on our rug and we also can't take Luke out for long walks because we don't have a big yard and dogs go a lot near our area.

I read all your suggestions everyone, they were great, thanks. Good thread indeed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I guess another reason besides not having all his vaccinations, i was scared to take him out yet since he is so tiny, he only JUST got to 2 pounds recently and all the harnesses i looked at, even the xsmall sizes said 3-4 pounds. Not to mention he will eat anything he sees on the floor, bc of this we have to be extra careful. The moment he sees even the tiniest thing on the floor he wants to eat it. Living in NYC doesn't help and afraid he will do this outside too and i dont live in a bad area but you do see strays here and there. I guess i was being a bit too neurotic and over protective. However, i also do think his obsessive licking and wanting to eat everything off the floor will stop or at least not as obsessive once he gets walked, so i know how important it is for him to get walked. He will get his last shot soon so that is one good thing but i do want to start now even if just a little, even if just a few steps outside.

As far as the harness, its only off by a pound or 2 right now but will it still be safe? he was 1 pound 15oz up until recently so thats why i wondered about it. I have to go to the vet soon anyways with him so i'll ask about this too.

And to an above post: yes i keep treats right by the wee wee pads, so when he goes i praise him and give him treats. Its funny bc a few times he would go on the wee wee pad, he started going again, not 100% of the time but doing a lot better, but when he went on the floor he expected a treat. i guess he thought i was giving him treats just for peeing lol. Then again he wants a treat anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts