Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell me if I sound like I am on the right track, dog experts. I take my 9 week old puppy out right after she eats/drinks or plays excessively, immediately after being in her crate and if she has fallen asleep just as soon as her eyes open, we're out the door. It feels like she's catching on- Carli never fails to relieve herself when we go outside (I also use code words with her). We went all weekend with no accidents until last night when I was in the bath and DH didn't catch her after her nap. Normally, she even wakes me up around 3 am to go pee and I oblige. I don't give her treats for doing her business outside, but I do give lots of positive reinforcement when she does.

Am I on the right track, guys, or am I not doing this correctly?

I've had people tell me to use the pee pads (which I'm not really sure if that's a good idea or not- to me it seems like she would be encouraged to pee in the house). I've had people tell me that by getting up at 3 in the morning with her I am setting a bad precedent. I feel like 8-9 hours is a long time for a puppy to hold their bladder, especially that young. I'm not wrong about that, am I?
Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I am not making the housetraining process more complicated than it is.
:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
It sounds like you're doing a great job! I feel like I'm delaying my pup's ability to be housebroken, I only use the wee wee pads because he's so tiny and it's so cold out. There isn't an area around my house that isn't covered in snow. Then, with the pneumonia, there's no way I'm letting him out of the house!
Pups can only hold their bladder for a few hours. I read to take their age in months and add one to it and that's about how long they can hold their bladder. I don't necessarily think that's true, but 8-9 hours is way too long. getting out of bed at 3am sucks, but it's not doing anything bad to your pup.
Keep up the good work! :]

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You are doing great. I wouldn't use the wee pads either....then you have to phase that out...it's easier just to get them to learn it right the first time.

As for getting up in the night, YES>....you should be doing this. As she gets older, you can extend the time in small increments...but 8 hours is too long. For a 9 week old puppy, he/she should be able to hold it about 2-3 hours tops (1 hr for each month old) and then some people even add an hour. I go conservative and just say 1 hr for each month. When I was housebreaking, i set my alarm for the appropriate time interval and got my butt out of bed and took them out :). Good job!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phew, thank goodness. It's nice to hear that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. Everyone seems to have an opinion, especially on the getting up at 3 am. I figure if I was locked in a cage all night, I probably wouldn't be able to hold it either. :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
There's no trick to housebreaking, and no real talent is required. You just have to be there every time the pup needs to relieve himself. If you're doing it right it is a total pain. Much better than the alternative, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts