Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that housebreaking is probably one of the most asked about questions but I just can't seem to find any information on my problem. My situation - I have a puppy that is just over 3 months old and was rescued. I think that she was removed from her litter too early and was never taught to keep her sleeping area clean. In addition, she was kept in a kennel and never allowed outside to poop and pee and therefore doesn't seem to mind doing it in her crate now and then laying/playing in it. Since I've had her, we've made great strides and she is able to make it through the night. My problem - while she knows that she shouldn't be going to the bathroom inside the house she still has not made the connection to let me know when she needs to go just after the fact. Its been a little over 2 weeks that I have had her and working night crew has allowed me to take her outside every 30 min to an hour, after playing and after eating just as all the books say but she still manages to have an accident quite often. She is very smart (has already learned sit, stay, laydown and wait) but she just doesn't get this. Does anybody have any ideas on how to reverse her thinking to let me know that she needs to go potty instead of the fact that she already did? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
she is still very young to not expect accidents. You are doign the right thing as far as taking her out every 30 minutes. She will also learn in time to let you know she needs to go. How big is her crate? Is it too big? it should be big enough for her to turn around and lay down that is it! 3 months is pretty young still!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crate is full sized but it came with an additional piece to block her section off and to expand as she grows. I don't want to leave her in there though until she's housetraining - thats not fair and I think will be counterproductive. I'm also worried because it seems almost as if she is afraid to let me know that she needs to go...maybe something from her past home? She gets a treat every time she "goes potty" outside so I'm hoping that this will start to help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't want to leave her in there though until she's housetraining - thats not fair and I think will be counterproductive. I'm also worried because it seems almost as if she is afraid to let me know that she needs to go...maybe something from her past home? She gets a treat every time she "goes potty" outside so I'm hoping that this will start to help.
crating is how you housebreak!!! It also teaches her independance, and the crate she will see as her "safe spot"!!! that will be a fun place to her! Why did you get a crate if you weren't going to use it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has nothing to do with not using it, but more of a question as to if I should leave her in there all day and only take her out to eat, potty, and go for walks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It has nothing to do with not using it, but more of a question as to if I should leave her in there all day and only take her out to eat, potty, and go for walks.
You leave her in there when you aren't at home and at night! If you are home she can be out with supervision and you taking her out every 30 min to potty. when she goes continue with treats and verbal praise "good girl go potty outside"!

http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am housebreaking my puppy right now as well- and the exact same problem. However we crate her at night, and when i KNOW she has to pee and she gets too caught up with chewing grass/playing she goes in there for 5-10 min and then outside again, and also when nobody is home to watch her. In all honesty, she loves her crate. After about a month and a half she is catching on to letting us know. I have found its helping to go out the SAME door each time its time to go outside to pee. She has started whining at the door (abut 50% of the time now) when she has to go- which I consider amazing for being 3 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts