Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm not a first time dog owner - I grew up around them but never had one in the house.

I rescued a year old yellow lab/dashaund mix about 2 weeks ago. She is very smart and obedient and loves to please. She is crated during the day and when we go to bed. I take her out to the back yard regularly to potty. She always goes when I take her out there and is praised/rewarded for it. We always use the same door, go in the same part of the yard, etc.

This week, every once in awhile, she'll go back in our hallway near our guest room, or in our guest room, and pee on the floor. Today she even went #2 - I had just had her out for quite a long time, too!

This may be a dumb question, but what's going on? Is there something I should be doing differently? I wonder why she's not alerting me when she needs to go.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you cleaning her pee with an enzyme cleaner? An enzyme cleaner is made to kill the smell so that she will not go there any more. Try gating that room so she can not go there any more and see if she goes any where else maybe she just like that spot and you need to make her not like it like spray some strong fabreez there a lot and like I said use the enzyme killer too. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Right after I posted, I saw the sticky about house training. Go figure! I also need to put her back on a leash. She gets along w/the cats and is well-behaved, so I took her off it. Looks like she needs to go back on so she stays in my sight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Right after I posted, I saw the sticky about house training. Go figure! I also need to put her back on a leash. She gets along w/the cats and is well-behaved, so I took her off it. Looks like she needs to go back on so she stays in my sight!
Yeah I need to Put Luke on a leash he is doing well but maybe to much freedom for him all at once.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another suggestion is to not let her go play until she does her business. When you take her out, tell her to pee (or whatever you say). If you know she needs to, and she doesn't, put her in the crate for a little bit. Then take her out again. Going play should also be a reward for going as well. Btw, that housebreaking sticky is really good. i followed that (most of it anyway) and it's working great for mine. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts