Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hi - first post here!

Second, I'm hoping to find some help with my puppy.

I have a 3 month old Rottweiler.

She pees in her crate most nights. I think she is old enough to "hold it" but perhaps lacks the desire too or is upset enough about being in the crate that she pees. However, she doesn't fuss much and has been sleeping in a crate for over a month now.

After some considerations I changed when I feed her, cut off her access to water 2 hours before bed and make sure she goes outside as late as possible before putting her into her crate. I wake up a few hours early to let her outside. I've also tried putting a towel in her crate versus nothing and that made no difference so she always has a clean full sized towel. Additionally when I brought her home I put her in an intermediate crate because I knew she would grow fast. But, as she has peed in the crate from the start, I moved her into a very small crate and have since graduated her to just a small-medium one. The point being - the issue does not appear to be a matter of too much room. I have also explored potential health problems with her vet and she doesn't have any.

So - really at a loss here. Why is she peeing in there almost every night? What else can I do to get her to stop? Is there anything at all I can try to help her develop that desire not to pee in her own bed?

We are still having almost daily accidents in the house. These almost always happen in the room where her crate is which is where all 3 of our dogs sleep and also where our front door is - typically where she is let outside. So, perhaps a solution for both might be necessary. Though, during the day I watch her as much as I possibly can and rarely leave her alone. Today I took her outside, let her go both pee and poo, and brought her back into the room with the other dogs to play while I took a shower. In my 15 minute absence she peed in the house - despite having just gone outside. So, again, it seems as though she has no "desire" NOT to go in "her" or "our" space.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

We are also dealing with rock eating with her (She wears a muzzle when in an area with many rocks, has learned Leave It and Drop It to help when she does get a rock, and we redirect her interest in rocks with toys or treats for 10-15 minute periods throughout the day.)

Otherwise - she's a very smart puppy who has picked up many cues and gestures. She's an active part of our family and goes everywhere with us (all 3 dogs do!) She gets plenty of exercise and stimulation during the day as well as lots of structured training and affection from us. I don't think the issue is specifically that she doesn't perceive this house or the crate as her den or us as her pack as she really has fit right into our family from the start!

Of course - considering the trouble we are having - I could be wrong!

Thanks for any feedback :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
You did not say how long it is between your dog's last visit outdoors to the first visit in the morning. Many adult dogs have trouble holding it for a long period of time. You also have a puppy who is rapidly growing, with many tissues under formed, including possibly the bladder.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
A typical 3 month old puppy can hold it for about 4 hours at most.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lots of puppies need a middle of the night bathroom trip. It's not uncommon. Yes, it's a hassle to us humans, but it's worth it, because you definitely don't want her to think it's normal to pee in her crate (which is like her "den" or "bedroom"). So, I would set an alarm and take her out. Really, if she has to go pee during the night (which she obviously does), it doesn't seem fair to ignore this need and make her sleep in a messy crate.

As for towels in the crate, that just soaks up the pee, so it makes it not as uncomfortable to sleep in pee. It doesn't really help your issue, and may, in fact, make it more difficult to fix.

She's just 12 weeks old. Many puppies don't develop the physical ability to control bladders completely until 6 months of age or so. Some puppies are better holding it at night than during the day, because most bodily functions either decrease or slow down, and that means less urine is produced. But, it really depends on the puppy. Our first pup could hold it during the night from about 10 weeks on. Our second could hold it during the night from about 16-18 weeks on, and the third, about 22 weeks. We potty trained them all the same, so it's just dependent on the dog.

Daily accidents in the house: here's my opinion. Daily accidents mean she's not supervised enough. Potty training is more about what the human does than what the puppy does. So, prevent accidents at all costs. Your example of taking her out, then bringing her back in, and she has an accident while you take a shower: I would confine her if you can't watch her. Don't leave her free to roam and have accidents while you shower.
That said, it does complicate the matter because she is in the habit of peeing in her crate. So, crating her while you shower may not prevent an accident like it would with most pups. Maybe you could try confining her with a ex-pen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts