Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just bought a Pomeranian from a breeder at the flea market on March 8th. He is 3 months old. We have had trouble housebreaking him. On Monday, the 9th, my wife took him out all day, about 8-9 times throughout the day. He didn't do anything for her outside. When he came into the house, he immediately went potty on the floor. I took him out on Tuesday, the 10th for about 30 minutes after he ate and he didn't do anything outside. About 15-20 mins later, he went potty on the floor. We went as far as putting a doggy diaper on him and he still went potty through it. We also put a potty training pad down and used the potty training spray on the pad and let him smell it, so he will know where to go potty at. He isn't on a eating schedule, but I am thinking about taking his food/water up at night and trying to get him on a schedule. We also have a cat. We may have to take up both, until he is housebroken. What type of feeding schedule should he be on, since he is 3 months old? Is there anything else we can try?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
are you useing a crate for him usually you feed 3 times a day seems like you are doing the right thing but i know housebreaking takes time
when he dose go potty out side praise him a lot
jamie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you keep a close eye on the pup? When I had my pom she was 8 weeks and I had to keep an eagles eye on her because she would poop and pee all over the place. I had summer school, and whenever I came home she would have pee on the kitchen carpets and poop anywhere on the floor. If you know the signs of when your puppy poops or pee you could quickly carry him to the pad or take him outside to the his business.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You should absolutely NOT use a diaper on him. THey're for incontinent pets- not untrained ones- and can severely irritate his skin.

First, put him on a food shedule. Water is less important. 3 times a day is probably fine, if he's really tiny, four might be better.

Next, when your wife takes him out (or whoever), what does she do? Walk around with him? Talk to him? Play? Ideally, potty walks should be very boring until he produces- stand in one spot, ignore dog, as soon as he squats, start praising, give a treat when he finishes, and go for a walk/throw a ball/have a party (whatever he finds most rewarding- the goal is for him to learn that going potty does NOT mean you go right back inside and into a crate most of the time but that good things (walks, play) take place as soon as he goes- so if he goes faster, good stuff comes faster too.)

When he's indoors, watch him EVERY SECOND. If you can't be watching him, he should be in a crate or in a playpen with potty pads down- some place that he can't or won't make a mistake by eliminating. When he's NOT in that space, you need to watch for his 'tells'- whatever signals he gives that mean "I think I might have to go. WIth baby puppies, they often don't have much warning at all and not much bodily control, so you may not get much a warning- scoop up the puppy and run for the door. :p Common signals are things like sniffing, circling, staring off into space with a certain 'look'- most dogs will have two or three of these things- it's very, very unusual to have a dog that just goes with NO sign of anything before hand (ie, just stops walking and pees) past the age of 10-12 weeks. (Some puppies- especially some toys- don't have much bodily control at ALL until 12 weeks, so up to that point, you just do a lot of management and taking them outside frequently.)

Hang in there!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with everything Dogstar said. When our puppy was young she would go outside and we would stand outside for 10 minutes or until she went. If she didn't go after 10 minutes she'd go back inside and go in her crate. Then we'd try again in 10-15 minutes and wait outside 10 minutes until she went. As soon as she went she'd get praise and a treat, and then we'd let her run around and play on the leash since to her that was a huge treat.

Once she went potty she'd come inside and we'd play for no more than 30 minutes. After 30 minutes passed once she'd come back inside she would either need to go in her crate or sit on the couch with us. We would take her out about every hour, unless she was sleeping, then we'd let her sleep as long as she wanted and take her outside right away (not letting her feet hit the floor until she was good on the leash).

This was our schedule for a few days, click on the bar at the top to enlarge...

It's very easy for the puppy to squat and go when it's in the middle of playing, which is why we wouldn't let her play unless it was soon after she just went outside. The thing that helped us the most was making that schedule and recording what she did every day so that we could see the patterns and trends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts