Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I have a new 10 week old Dachshund puppy. She is wonderful and when we got her from the rescue they told us to use puppy pads to train her because she is not allowed outside. So that's what we have been doing and she is doing pretty good with it. I would love to train her to go outside instead but she is so tiny and it is so cold outside I am not sure this is the best thing for her. I would love some opinions. Also she screams at night for like 20 min in her crate before going to bed and sleeps in her crate right next to our bed on the night stand. I assume this will just get better with time. She has a puppy play pen for when our schedules over lap and we are not home so she can play and she loves that much more than her crate. She pees and poops in her crate every night like 3 times and doesn't wake us up to take her to the puppy pads so we ended up putting one in there and we eventually wake up and smell it but I don't mind waking up and potting her but do I let her do it on pee pads or start taking her outside. I just wanna do what's best and I am confused, it has been so long since I had a puppy. We also have a 7 year old plotthound rescue who is potty trained.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
As long as you have a place outside for her to go that other dogs (other than your dog) don't frequent, she can go out to potty. I wouldn't mess with pads, it's just going to make things more difficult in the long run. I have a dachshund mix that I adopted from the SPCA at a few days shy of 8 wks old. We adopted him in February and live in upstate NY. It was cold. He went out. He went out every 15-20 minutes. It sucked, he hated it, but he learned that the faster you go the faster we go inside again!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
We potties trained while it was cold out with ok issues. It can actually help the puppy learn to go quickly because the faster they go, the sooner they can go inside! I wouldn't use pee pass because it can just confuse dogs later. Pups can go outside as long as it's an area that only known vaccinated dogs frequent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for e replies, We had a break thru last night, I had her crate on my bed and I heard her wake up and I put her on her pee pads and she did her business, so instead of a pee pad in her crate I gave her a blanket and she loved it and went right back to bed without crying at all, and we did the same thing 3 hours later and she woke up with a clean crate. I am off the next 3 days so maybe I will work on taking her outside instead of using the pee pads, they are just so convenient cause it's rainy and cold lol and she goes often with no notice at all

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
All puppies go with almost or no notice because at that age they don't really know when they have to go. It works best to take puppies out on a schedule, about every hour or so, and after eating, play, or waking up from a nap.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks for e replies, We had a break thru last night, I had her crate on my bed and I heard her wake up and I put her on her pee pads and she did her business, so instead of a pee pad in her crate I gave her a blanket and she loved it and went right back to bed without crying at all, and we did the same thing 3 hours later and she woke up with a clean crate. I am off the next 3 days so maybe I will work on taking her outside instead of using the pee pads, they are just so convenient cause it's rainy and cold lol and she goes often with no notice at all
Problem is, it's going to NOT be convenient when she can't differentiate between a pee pad and your bathmat... or your area rug... or your laundry... and just pees on whatever is on the floor. Unfortunately that can happen with dogs... did with my neighbor's! They can't leave ANYTHING on the floor or their pee pad "trained" dogs pee on it.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Don't forget tons of treats as soon as she's done pottying. I kept the treats by the door, so that as soon as my dog was done pottying, she would come racing in for her treat. I now have the fastest pottier anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts