Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trained Romeo (5 months old) to eliminate outside with a small treat every time he goes.
He still expects it every time, and wakes me up at nite to go outside just for a treat. Also all these treats are diminishing his appitite for his regular food. Should i stop the treats for elimaniting ?
Is 5 months old too early for nutering ?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I wouldn't stop using the treats yet. The thing is, a puppy doesn't have complete control of their bladder til about 6 months of age, so there is still the chance that he will not have the control needed EVERY time he has to pee. So, having the treats will continue to encourage him to try hard.

When you take him out at night does he actually pee? If he doesn't really pee a normal amount, and usually just does a dribble to get the treat, I'd start ignoring him in the middle of the night. They usually have better control at night, anyway, because their body systems go on "sleep mode" and not as much urine is produced.

The treats should really only be about the size of your pinky fingernail, or even a bit smaller. That way, they don't interfere with his appetite. But, if his appetite is being affected, you could reduce the amount you feed him, rather than stop using treats. He's still very young.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Romeo has just discovered he has a BARK. He barks at everything now. i dont mind in the day but when i take him out at night its like 3 am and ppl are sleeping.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Train a quiet command. Every time he stops barking, immediately say "quiet" and treat. Eventually, he'll learn that quiet means to stop barking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts