Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Our puppy is pretty good at going on his training pads. He is just over three months old. At how old should we start training him to eliminate outside? I was told you need to gradually move his training pad closer to the door until it is outside, but we live in an apartment, and of course we cant put his training pad in the hallway :p

If I placed his training pad outside and when he was ready to eliminate removed it from under his feet, and then praised him if he went on the ground? would that work?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does he go outside when given the opportunity? If so, I would agree with hulkmaniac and just remove the pads and start taking him outside. I'd take him out pretty frequently and reward heavily just to make sure he makes the association that his potty place is outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been freezing cold outside lately where I am. I take him outside, but he is normally scared and cold. Shivering like crazy. All he wants to do it be carried back home LOL

How would I get him going outside then?

·
Registered
12 Posts
if i had known there were puppy training pads it would have made house training my puppy so much easier, i just brought him outside a said wee wees, i know it sounds crazy but it took about 4 months before he held it until i let him out, he now knows when he needs to go and goes to the back door.

try giving him lots of praise when he goes out and use a word when he relieves himself outside, then when you are about to bring him out say wee wees or whatever word you want in an excited manor and he will soon get the picture

·
Registered
11 Posts
i use pads with my 8 week old pup and the pads are almost at the door and i take him for walks at least 4 times a day and when he does his "thing" outside i give him a treat and it seems to be working

1 - 9 of 9 Posts