Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Newfoundland puppy named Ozzy, and he's just awesome. Loving, steady nerves, quick to learn... he's just that cool. I have one more sticking point that causing me some issue, though.

He pees. A lot.

Within just 4 days of bringing him home, he stopped pooping in the house, but the peeing has persisted. This isn't unexpected, as he's not even 4 months old yet, but the sheer volume of his liquid destruction makes me crazy. Not just the amount, but his method of delivery is bizarre and difficult to deal with - he walks while he pees. I'm not kidding. Ozzy leaves a pool where he starts, and then a zig-zag of pee as he walks around the room.

I've never had a giant dog breed before, and maybe that's why I was so surprised at his rate of growth and the amount of waste he can generate. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it in action is a quick road to anxiety medication. Ozzy will be 15 weeks old tomorrow, and he's well over 50 lbs!

What I currently do is take him outside immediately when I let him out of his area, a gated section he doesn't leave deposits in. I keep him with me as much as possible, and if he shows the slightest signs of needing to go, we go. Here's where Ozzy excels. Unlike many other dogs, who walk around for several minutes or longer, trying to find a perfect spot, Ozzy takes three steps into the gravel area and lets it rip. I always praise enthusiastically, and he loves this. I never punish or yell for accidents inside. Honestly, he's doing really well. I can't expect a puppy of his age to be potty trained in less than 2 months. But I hoped!

He understands where he should go, but doesn't grasp yet that the inside of the house isn't OK. I know it's very difficult to teach a puppy not to do something, but I was hoping for pointers to iron out this last hurdle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I remember my Labrador, Timmy, who is now 6 years old also used to pee like that. It is actually quite funny. i think you should just keep doing the basics. Always take him out after an exciting moment e.g after he wakes up, after you come home etc etc.. And make sure to clean all the scents out where he has peed. Dogs love peeing somewhere where there is an old scent, I think this is your biggest issue that you need to resolve. Just keep taking him out and make sure there is no scents in the house, then ozzy will not be peeing in the house before you know it.

As for the large quantity, I am sure that isn't something to worry about! He is a big dog after all!

Here is an article on how to housetrain your new puppy on my website. You can click the link to read it it has a lot of good information!

Regard
Mervyn

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
He understands where he should go, but doesn't grasp yet that the inside of the house isn't OK. I know it's very difficult to teach a puppy not to do something, but I was hoping for pointers to iron out this last hurdle.
Actually, it's not JUST a matter of him not grasping that the inside of the house isn't ok. Sometimes, he just physically CAN'T hold it yet, because of his age.

Very young puppies don't always get signals from their bodies that they have to pee. It seems to happen out of the blue, sometimes. As they age, they'll get signals/warning from their bodies, but not consistently. And, puppies don't have full physical control of their bladders til about 6 months of age.

So, it's kind of a combination of her learning what to do, physically being able to do it, and you filling in the gaps by supervising her so closely that she doesn't even have the chance to have an accident, and taking her out more often than you think you need to.

Lots of people think it's just the puppy LEARNING what to do and what not to do, but, part of it is they physically can't do it in the beginning.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
doxiemommy is right and it's worse in large breeds going through a growth spurt. Their frame gets bigger, requiring more energy, producing more waste, but their bladder hasn't grown yet, so you've got a huge volume of pee going through a tiny bladder.

it is frustrating, but he'll grow out of it, and you are doing it right. it just takes time, is all. i'd invest in a really good floor cleaner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been saved!!! My Newfie pup is now 4 months old (tomorrow), and weighs in at 59.4 lbs. Yes, he's big, but not fat. I can still feel his ribs and he gets around very well. I've been working with him, mostly keeping him right with me and taking him outside immediately if I notice any of his 'tells', which I've become attuned to. Well, it's paid off. The last three days have been accident-free. Ozzy never goes in his play area, and this has been the case for nearly a month now. He can be in there for up to about 6 hours without incident. However, if he needs to go in the night, he cries out and I get my lazy ass out of bed and let him out. Anyway, for the last three days he's used the doggie-door to go out and do his business on his own!!! He's never had a problem going potty when I take him out. Usually, Ozzy takes all of 3 steps into the gravel area and goes immediately. But if I didn't notice in time, he'd go in the house instead. Hey, he's a puppy. It's what they do. But I watched him over the last few days, and every time the call of nature gripped him, he took care of things himself. Maybe I'm going on a bit, but I really didn't expect him to start doing so well so soon. I fully expect that there'll still be the occasional accident, but wow! What an improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts