Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new to puppies and dog forums so allow me to introduce myself... My name is Madison! I am the proud mommy of a beautiful sweetie pie named Bear. He is an 11 month old Rottie and I also have a cute little rescue named George that we just got back in April!

Ive had Bear since he was 2 months old and he was immediately house trained. He actually was inside majority of the time until the time we got our rescue. I originally got George because I was starting school again and I wanted Bear to have a companion to spend the day with. From the time Bear was about 4 months we have has 0 accidents in the house and he used to be pretty good at letting himself out to use the restroom.... All this changed when we got George. Im not sure why but now I am finding accidents all over my house. And its not just our new dog Im mostly finding Bears poop and I find him tearing up everything! For example, I went into the laundry room after I just got done vacuuming only to find Bear with the cord in his mouth and my vacuum broken... I seriously cant turn my back without finding something chewed up, and its gotten to the point where my husband doesn't even want them in the house anymore.

So Im just having some guilt because I obviously want them to be members of our family and not just dogs stuck out in the backyard but I also dont want to have these two destroying my house. Im not sure if this type of thing is normal but Im hoping for some suggestions on fixing this!

Thanks in advance for your help!:wink:

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Any change in a dog's routine (such as adding a second dog or your starting school) can cause stress which sometimes manifests by dogs regressing in their training or becoming more destructive.

How much physical and mental exercise are both dogs getting? Increasing both can help.

Are the dogs crate trained? You may need to crate or otherwise confine them while you're not home or can't watch them so they don't have the opportunity to chew, pee, poop, or destroy things. Breaking the habit is as important as retraining them to act in more socially appropriate ways. It will be much safer for them, too. I would suggest keeping them separate while confined.

For house training, I'd go back to step one - don't allow them out of your sight, crate or confine when you can't watch them, take them out on a regular schedule, and reward when they do go outside. You also may need to re-dog proof your house. Keep anything you don't want them to have out of reach. Give them appropriate toys and reward them for choosing to play with their own toys. Kongs, antlers, and bully sticks are great at keeping dogs occupied while you do other things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! Both dogs are crate trained and my rottie is going through his second round of training
I will definitely increase the amount of activity we can do with them
I will get them more toys also they seem to disappear on me

Would you recommend me getting our rescue trained by a pro? He is really timid! For example the first month we had him he peed and shivered every time I bent over to pet him... He's better now but I'm afraid any correction I give him will do more damage than good therefore Im scared to correct
Any suggestions on this?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I don't see where cookieface recommended correction.. you don't need to correct them... just control your environment .. so they only have the opportunity to do the best behaviors.. it was suggested to go back to square one of their training.. as if they don't know anything and re introduce what they need to learn. am glad George is doing better stay with the positive for him and help him learn the right things.. no need for corrections.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Thanks for the advise! Both dogs are crate trained and my rottie is going through his second round of training
I will definitely increase the amount of activity we can do with them
I will get them more toys also they seem to disappear on me

Would you recommend me getting our rescue trained by a pro? He is really timid! For example the first month we had him he peed and shivered every time I bent over to pet him... He's better now but I'm afraid any correction I give him will do more damage than good therefore Im scared to correct
Any suggestions on this?
Taking classes or arranging for one-on-one training sessions is always a good thing (in my opinion). Those things aren't really "getting your dog trained" but more your leaning how to interact with your dog and teach him appropriate behaviors. It's a wonderful bonding experience and can help a dog gain confidence.

I would never recommend corrections, especially not for a soft dog as yours seems to be (shivering and submissive urination are huge signs that he's nervous). My dog is probably harder than I think, but I never do anything more than an interruption (e.g., hey) or negative punishment (e.g., removing attention, denying access to a desired item). More simply isn't needed. Keep in mind that for soft, nervous dogs, even a raised voice or harsh tone can be too much for them.

I don't see where cookieface recommended correction.. you don't need to correct them... just control your environment .. so they only have the opportunity to do the best behaviors.. it was suggested to go back to square one of their training.. as if they don't know anything and re introduce what they need to learn. am glad George is doing better stay with the positive for him and help him learn the right things.. no need for corrections.
All of this ^^^ :)

If you want to do some training on your own, check our Kikopup, Tab289, and Domesticated Manners on youtube. Dog Star Daily has great information, as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts