Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i got a new puppy 2 weeks ago he is now 9 weeks old i have been trying to house break him. when i am home i watch him every second and when he starts to go or it looks like it i run him outside and he goes right away and he knows he gets a treat every time he goes. but he gives me no sign he has to go out side. anything i can do? or am i expecting to much with his age?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It usually takes a lot longer than two weeks of house training to get a signal and it can be something subtle - like just walking towards the door, looking at you, or something similar. For being two weeks in, it sounds like you're doing really well, so just keep it up and have patience with him - it'll come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the future, if it seems that no signal is being chosen by him with which to show you, try to make one by training him to do something at the door before you take him out. It'll form a habit and hopefully he'll associate them and use that when he feels the need. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
In the future, if it seems that no signal is being chosen by him with which to show you, try to make one by training him to do something at the door before you take him out. It'll form a habit and hopefully he'll associate them and use that when he feels the need. :)
Yes to this. Not every dog signals, or the signals are really, really subtle. Plus, 2 weeks in at that age, you're not going to get signalling. Just have patience, everything you are doing sounds great.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Keep in mind that very young puppies don't even get signals themselves. Sometimes they don't even know they have to pee until it's too late. That's because their bladders aren't fully developed yet. As they age they'll start knowing what it feels like to have to pee, and THAT'S when they may start giving signals, like sniffing around more than usual, seeming agitated, or circling around the same area. Those are good signs they need to pee.

But, now, at 9 weeks, sometimes it WILL come out of the blue, even for him. It's like a human toddler, mama and daddy say "do you have to go potty?" and the little one says no, but 30 seconds later, she's peed her pants. They just don't always know in time. So, until everything comes together, developmentally, it's your job to bridge those gaps.

Set a schedule, like taking him out every 30 minutes AT LEAST, and after he wakes up (even from naps), and after play/exercise, and besides that, do as you are doing, keeping your eyes on him and watching for every little sign! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like the others have said, at this young age, you can't wait for signals. You have to be proactive and take them outside often, signal or no signal. And I always reward outside potties with treats.

One thing we've had success with is hanging a bell on the door, and ringing it before each time we take them out to potty. They quickly associate the bell with potty time (or at the very least, OUTSIDE time). My dogs learned to ring the bell in a matter of days.

Even with the bell though, that didn't end the "accidents" with my malamute pup. Sometimes she'd ring the bell, we'd go outside, and then she'd turn around and pee inside 5 mins later. My golden was SO much easier to housebreak. I think he peed inside once or twice, ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts