Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Assuming the human is the kind that can fall back asleep in the night decently enough, it is usually far easier to wake up for 5-10 minutes around 1 or 2 am, stumble outside with the dog in your house coat and slippers and pop the dog back into the crate after a pee without ever turning on a light than it is to clean up puppy pee every morning for a few weeks and add all that to the laundry. Especially if the puppy ends up rolling in or lying on the pee pad during the night...

Personally, I wake up if the puppy is stirring around (a sign of needing to pee) and take puppy outside without waking up much myself; or if I wake up in the night to get some water or a bathroom break than I go ahead and take the puppy out. If the puppy does not stir and I do not wake otherwise, then I just rush them outside first thing in the morning.

I keep a flashlight handy and a collar with leash attached to it sits next to the puppy's crate. If its summer, I go outside on the sidewalk barefoot and in winter, I pull on boots without socks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts