Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dog-sitting my friend's 1yr old corgi while he is deployed for 6 months. My friend has given me permission to train her however I want.

Right now, she is trained to pee/poo indoors on a pee pad. She has been doing this for a whole year now and I want to train her to go outside. Any tips for retraining a 1yr old dog?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Treat her like you would a baby puppy. Keep an eye on her, and crate or otherwise confined when you can't supervise her. Take her out at regular intervals (start feeding meals at set times if she's currently free fed), encourage her to potty, and if she doesn't in about ten minutes or so, bring her back in, crate her for about ten to twenty minutes, and take her back out. Take her out after she wakes up, after she's eaten, after she's had a big drink, after she's been playing for a while, and every hour or so, just because.

Also, pick up the pads, so that she doesn't have that option available to her. Taking one that she's already used out to where you want her to potty might help encourage her to go outside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts