Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an Italian Spinone who howls every morning. Emphasis on howl, he doesn't bark.

We're fairly certain that it is not seperation anxiety, he's doing it for our attention and because he's bored (it's fairly common with hound breeds). He is walked at least three times a day and has a mountain of toys to play with right next to his bed.

He's 11 months old and the howling is very loud. Too loud to keep ignoring it, which is what we've been doing for the past month. I'm also about to start a new job that involves late night shift work and I just won't be able to cope with him howling at 5am anymore.

We don't know what to do and could really use some tips to deal with our restless pup. I'm happy to provide more information if it's usefull.

·
Super Moderator
2,928 Posts
Does he have to go potty? Does he sleep in the bedroom with you, or outside of it? And how long has this been going on?

At 11 months he should be able to hold his bladder all night, but if this is something that has suddenly popped up, perhaps there is a medical reason such as a UTI causing him to have to go potty earlier than normal, thus the howling.

If he doesn't sleep in your bedroom, perhaps try allowing him in there and see if being near you stops the boredom howling. Or, if he is in you bedroom already, try having him sleep someplace else. That may just make him cry to be let in with you, but perhaps putting a few walls and doors between you will make it more bearable so you can sleep through it.

Other than listed above, the best way to stop that demand barking/howling is to ignore it. When they want something, any attention is good attention, even scolding. You could try earplugs to drown out the noise, or perhaps blackout curtains to seal out the light which always seems to get my dog up and wanting fun.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Try crating him next to your bed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts