Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shih Tzu pup Beethoven has had a hard time with this warm weather, and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.
It had been relatively cool (like in the high 50's(F)) up until a few days ago, when we got this heat wave and it's around 80(F) during the day.
I woke up this morning to find that he had pooped inside his crate. He hasn't done this in at least a month, I thought he had learned. There was a lot of poop, it looked a bit soft but it wasn't all over him and I only had to wash it off his paws.
I put him out on our porch to see if it would help him dry off from the shower, I felt like the water was a little cold. All it did was upset him, I think, because he pooped and it wasn't firm at all. He had done this the day before, too, I took him on a walk to the river nearby and he let out two loose stools.
I'm thinking (hoping...) it's just the weather, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to help him instead of keeping him inside with the a/c and waiting to take him out until night time.
Do you think it's the weather too, or a more serious problem?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't think the weather would be making his poop soft. I am not an expert, but I have never heard of it before. Stress can make him have loose stools so if being in his crate or outside stresses him out, then maybe??

I would suggest calling your vet if he continues to have loose stools, I don't think the heat is causing it.

BTW, 80 is a REALLY nice day in Florida! Anything cooler than that is cold to me!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I wasn't sure if it was the heat... He's never been exposed to these kinds of temperatures before and I'm unsure if heat messes with small dogs and their intestines.
He's usually very good at being in his crate, especially when it's time to sleep.
He's been eating everything he normally eats, no new treats or anything.
I'm planning on calling the vet if it doesn't get better (I just don't know how to fix it!), but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or knew what to do.

I put him in the kitchen so that he would not poop on the carpet. I took him out to go to the bathroom, and he peed. I took him in because I didn't want him to get any more heat; but when he came in he pooped on the carpet just in front of the kitchen. Agh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts