Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Hot spots on his tail

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SkyeOliver-Loves-Me 
#1 ·
Okay so my skye had to go to the vet today for what I pretty much knew was a hot spot. He's never had one before but it fit the description perfectly. I found it about two days ago and made the appointment. I also started at home treatment immediately. When we got to the vet today she thought what we thought, that it was one hotspot about an inch long. When she started shaving his tail we realized the extent of the issue. My oliver's tail is about fifteen inches long and has very thick long fur on it. And about three quarters of it was covered in lesions. It was oozing and bloody. It looked so awful I started to cry. Three days ago he had no problems at all. The vet kept telling me I did everything I was supposed to and that that is the problem with hot spots on long haired dogs. They spread very fast and you can't see them until you shave. So his tail is clean and bandaged. He got a steroid shot, antibiotics and pain medication. He has a followup appointment on Saturday to make sure he's okay. My issue is that I want more info on prevention. What do I watch for outside of scratching? He's on a flea preventative but the vet said just one flea bite could have started the whole mess. Does anyone have a shampoo suggestion that won't dry out his skin if I want to start bathing him more often? Has anyone else had this experience. I'm still so upset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.