Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is in wrong thread section. My dog is a pure bred alaskan malamute. She is almost 2 years old. When ever it gets hot she seems to get hot spots at the base of her tail. Now there is a small red mark slightly open, around half the size of a dime. Not sure if its a hot spot or jsut she was itching and broke the skin. i was wondering if it is safe to use Ozinol Antibiotic cream on the spot. I hope this will releave itching as well as help stop infect and my hopeful out come is to avoid a 200 vet bill. Thx for any advise

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You can use an antibiotic cream, surgical type scrub and rinse well then blow dry, shave the area and around it a bit, brown listerine, gold bond powder, dab with a tea bag that's been soaked in warm water for a bit, or a combination of those. Depends on the cause and spot and dog as to what would work.

To prevent them, make sure she's properly groomed before it gets too hot - combed out from head to toe with a fine tooth comb to remove all the dead coat, bathed and rinsed well and not allowed to be wet for too long, and diet changes can help. My old girl couldn't have grains during the warmer weather or she'd have issues, winter she'd be fine, so I just adjusted her diet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You can use an antibiotic cream, surgical type scrub and rinse well then blow dry, shave the area and around it a bit, brown listerine, gold bond powder, dab with a tea bag that's been soaked in warm water for a bit, or a combination of those. Depends on the cause and spot and dog as to what would work.

To prevent them, make sure she's properly groomed before it gets too hot - combed out from head to toe with a fine tooth comb to remove all the dead coat, bathed and rinsed well and not allowed to be wet for too long, and diet changes can help. My old girl couldn't have grains during the warmer weather or she'd have issues, winter she'd be fine, so I just adjusted her diet.

I never heard of this but it is quite intresting. I have heard of the remedy at petco. Never experienced a hot spot with my malamute but we used that stuff with my border collie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts