Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old Aussie shepherd and black lab mix has hot spots, despite changing his food, eliminating cheese, peanut butter, chicken and beef. The vet says it's probably a seasonal thing and while it may only happen this one time, there's a fair chance that it may happen every time the weather gets hot (I sure hope not!). We took him in for an emergency appointment, and then gave him a shot of cortisol (or cortisone I forget which) and a couple of pills for him to take.

The problem is that my poor pup is still bothered by the plasma leeching from the cuts healing on his hind end. I looked into hot spot sprays, that say they minimize irritation and claim to help them heal faster. But the sheer number of types and brands available has me a bit confounded. Any suggestions? Which ones have you used? And which are your favorites?

Please help!!!

--Lauren K

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get some regular black tea, Lipton, generic, whatever. Boil some water and put a couple tea bags into a small amount of water, like 1/4-1/2 a cup. The idea is to make a super strong tea. Let it cool, and apply it to the hot spot(s). You can store it in the refridgerator in a small spray bottle, like the type that comes in a travel kit, or just any container. I like the spray bottle since it's easy to spritz it on the hot spot. Apply 2-4 times a day, more is better. Then tannins in the tea will dry up the hot spot and kill any bacteria. Usually within a day or two it will have scabbed over, and be healed up in about a week, depending on how big it is. Keep applying until it's completely healed. You can also use a cold tea bag as a compress, although I think it's easier to just spray/pour the tea on and be done.

It's a lot cheaper than buying any of the premade stuff, and it's always worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts