Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Shiba Inu, had a horrible reaction to a different heart worm pill. For the past two weeks he has had pitiful diarrhea numerous times a day. My vet exchanged his heart worm pills. Sold us ID dog food. Prescribed rx clay and rx biotics. Today out of desperation, I have started him on a white rice, boiled chicken, pumpkin diet. I add two scoops of both the biotics and clay. Any suggestions to help him. Every time, I start to add a tiny bit of his kibble, Innova, back to his diet the diarrhea starts again. He has lost over a pound, and is visibly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can only assume two things here without more info on the dog...the dog has been tested for heartworm yearly and then dosed? And some heartworm medicine is a dewormer too...is it possible your dog had worms? I know when my puppy had worms she had bad diarrhea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog had his annual exam right before a NEW heart worm pill was administered to him. He had a heart worm and a fecal test done. Both came back negative. My vet gave us a generic heart worm pill that I gave to my dog. He has had diarrehea for 2 weeks. I have him on a bland diet of boiled chicken, white rice, a small tablespoon of pumpkin, and I add 2 scoops of Rx Biotics and RX Clay two times a day. He is doing well on that, but when I try to get him back on his regular diet of Innova Adult Dry Large Bites Kibble, his stomach reacts and the diarrhea starts all over. I am literally only giving him 10 pieces of kibble in the bland food mixture. How can I get him to eat his regular food again? Incidentally, my vet took back the new heartworm pills and gave us the heartworm pill that doesn't upset my dogs stomach.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mind me asking the two heartworm medications that are involved? I only ask this because just today my vet gave me a generic form of heartworm, because they do not carry the other anymore. Maybe try to switch to whole different food in a slow process, the dog might have developed an allergy to something in the food..it happens all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts