Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sage is 19 months old and was spayed when she was about 7 and a half months old. Everything has been fine with her until last November when we started having these leaking episodes. It always happens when she is napping or resting, never when she is awake or when she is seriously asleep for the night. At first we didn't know where it was coming from as it did not smell like urine and it was clear, in fact to us it smelled like slobber, like when your dog brings you a sopping wet toy they have been chewing on. At her vet appt. the next month (Dec.) we told the her what was happening and she mentioned it might possibly be Hormone-responsive incontinence. The other day sage had a leak when she was on her bed in the livingroom. Some ran off the bed onto the carpet and it was clear, no staining. I called the vet yesterday and they want to do a urinalysis. I was able to get one from Sage (yay me!) today and we will take it in tomorrow. Hopefully by Friday we will know for sure what is going on. I am doubtful she has an infection and all the reading I have done indicates HRI, plus the vet did already mention it. The urine sample I got today was very yellow and smelled like urine should smell! I think it's strange that this leakage does not smell. Has anyone else had this experience with their dog? I have had several dogs over the years and never experienced anything like this.

I was suprised when I came on her to see the posts about Proin and that it's for incontinence. It sounds like she will have to take something daily for awhile and then once a week. I am concerned about what drugs may be in her future. TIA for any info or guidance you can give me.

Cindy

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My first dog (a Lab, spayed at 6 months) had spay incontinence. However, when she leaked, it definitely smelled like pee, and her back end would be all wet. Proin wasn't available yet, and the medication (the vet told us to buy Dexatrim :p ) made her sick, so we just invested in a lot of piddle pads and doggie diapers.

I sometimes find wet spots like you describe in Penny's bed, the spots don't smell like pee, and her butt isn't wet :confused: . So I don't know what it is. Drool, maybe. Try to determine which end of her bed is wet, that should help in determining the problem.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Years ago I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback. When she was about six months old, she would be sleeping and would wake up to a big wet spot. She never was spayed and eventually grew out of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you notice her licking herself in the area? Stimulating the urethra, like Mom does with her tongue when they are little, will cause her to release urine. I experienced the same thing with my old girl. I'd find wet spots on her bed, but it didn't smell. Other times, it smelled like urine. For awhile, antibiotics for a bladder infection stopped the leakage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts