Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are the owner of our 2 year old Lab/Beagle mix, Bentley. He's a fantastic dog, maybe a little overweight, but other than that, healthy. About 3 weeks ago, he came into the kitchen and looked up at me and his face was the size of Texas, swollen eyes and all. Comparison of his regular face and swollen face:

I immediately gave him the proper dose of Benadryl, as he is known to have allergies and we keep it ready for him. I noticed his face swelling was down about an hour later, but he formed welts all over that raised his hair up (his coat is usually very sleek and smooth). Then called the vet and had him in that day. By the time he got to the vet, his welts were gone. She said to continue with the benadryl and keep in touch. Got him home and an hour later, his welts returned, and the white of his left eye was bulging out and swollen. I called the vet back, and brought his back up, where they stained his eye to check for scratch, gave a steroid shot, and told us to keep in touch. He seemed good to go after that. I know it all sounds like a bug or spider bite, or allergic reaction, which we discussed with the vet, but now the EXACT same things are happening, and a bite area was never found during her inspection. Took him outside around 4am this morning to use the bathroom, and by 5AM, noticed his face was swollen. Gave benadryl, and swelling went down. Called the vet and she told us there was a possibility of an external or internal tumor that releases histamines and causes an allergic reaction. I'm worried one day it will swell his airway if we dont get this fixed!!! He has already been enrolled in a clinical trial to test for skin allergies in dogs, and begins that soon. I'm worried our boy might have a tumor, he will go in for testing in the middle of the month. I've attached some pictures to see the welts all over his body. Maybe someone out there has had a similar case.

Sorry, they are cell phone pictures and not of the best quality, but you get the picture.

EDIT: Wanted to also add that both times this has happened, he has thrown up an orange liquidy substance, on top of everything he recently ate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to see your fur baby's suffering. If you have a veterinary college anywhere near you, it may be worth a trip. We are 1 1/2 hrs from the UF Veterinary School & it's animal hospital & they are amazing. We have referred friends' pets & previous ongoing issues have been solved. Best of luck to Bentley & you, sending positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Sorry to see your fur baby's suffering. If you have a veterinary college anywhere near you, it may be worth a trip. We are 1 1/2 hrs from the UF Veterinary School & it's animal hospital & they are amazing. We have referred friends' pets & previous ongoing issues have been solved. Best of luck to Bentley & you, sending positive thoughts your way.
Yeah there is VA tech. Their vet would have to send a referral.

OP: The first pic looks like a typical bee sting reaction, could your dog be allergic to bees?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts