Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more and more Im becoming fascinated with these little guys..they are gorgeous and very unique little dogs.

Active, Intelligent, attractive and unique equals fascinating n my book

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had never seen a Basenji before until the last time I went to Petsmart. I didn't get to talk with the owner though as they were walking out with I was walking in. They were much smaller than I expected.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You know that a lot of basenjis do fabulously well on the lure coursing field, right?

They were actually the first breed I was serious about until I moved to getting an elkhound. The biggest thing that turned me off was just the size. Too small of a dog for me.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had a friend that used to do Basenji rescue and another friend that bred Basenji's. They are cute but like trumpetjock said "they are too small of a dog for me." They are tough little dogs though and they have extremely high prey drive. In Africa, the dog that doesn't hunt might very well become supper themselves. This way the hunting instinct is kept very very strong. I think here in the US some of that has been toned down though.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know that a lot of basenjis do fabulously well on the lure coursing field, right?

They were actually the first breed I was serious about until I moved to getting an elkhound. The biggest thing that turned me off was just the size. Too small of a dog for me.
yeah I was reading about them lure coursing...

I tend to like bigger dogs too but there are one or two small dog breeds that interest me.

Inga said:
They are tough little dogs though and they have extremely high prey drive. In Africa, the dog that doesn't hunt might very well become supper themselves. This way the hunting instinct is kept very very strong. I think here in the US some of that has been toned down though.
that's one of the things I dig about them. I am attracted to more driven breeds because Im interested in working dogs. Plus any other breed I get needs to be able to keep up with my pit bulls...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've seen a few around me and I'm considering getting one. Very beautiful dog and looks highly intelligent. I've heard they are very independent so may be more of a challenge to train. As an owner of a small dog there are numerous advantages to having a small dog. They are highly portable, everything costs less, accidents are smaller to clean up, crates and beds take up less space, can have a few of them without feeling crowded, easier to bathe, and most importantly they live longer.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen a few around me and I'm considering getting one. Very beautiful dog and looks highly intelligent. I've heard they are very independent so may be more of a challenge to train. As an owner of a small dog there are numerous advantages to having a small dog. They are highly portable, everything costs less, accidents are smaller to clean up, crates and beds take up less space, can have a few of them without feeling crowded, easier to bathe, and most importantly they live longer.
I like small dogs alright. Most small breeds are too fluffy for my taste..I can't do high maintenance grooming...and only a few small breeds have the kind of high energy type of personality I like in a dog.

the bolded thing I have zero issues with. I want those kind of thought processes in my dogs.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Just a reminder though- fluffy doesn't always equal lots of grooming. I have considered basenjis some (as well as cresties, thought they're a lot of maintenance). Some of those hounds and particularly the sight hounds fascinate me. However, with a little fluffy it's not always the best idea to bring in a sighthound. I have always been a little nervous though about jumping from a breed that is 100% always thinking about you and how to please and work with you to something so independent. I don't know that I can take another Summer so something more independent might be nice!

I'm so spoiled by small dogs though. I always think I want a big one until someone mentions how darn expensive it is to feed a large breed dog.

ETA: Intelligent and active are a must in my dogs.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a reminder though- fluffy doesn't always equal lots of grooming. I have considered basenjis some (as well as cresties, thought they're a lot of maintenance). Some of those hounds and particularly the sight hounds fascinate me. However, with a little fluffy it's not always the best idea to bring in a sighthound. I have always been a little nervous though about jumping from a breed that is 100% always thinking about you and how to please and work with you to something so independent. I don't know that I can take another Summer so something more independent might be nice!

I'm so spoiled by small dogs though. I always think I want a big one until someone mentions how darn expensive it is to feed a large breed dog.

ETA: Intelligent and active are a must in my dogs.
I like paps. But too much hair. My idea of a doable amount of grooming is like rubbing them down with a wet cloth, running a flea comb through the coat once and trimming nails with the occasional ear cleaning...just whenever its nessecary.

Bolo hasn't had an actual bath in something like eight months but stays clean...I imagine even with paps and whatnot you still have to do things like sit down and seriously brush them and bath them and pick leaves and stuff out of the coat.

My favorite little dog is a smooth coat Patterdale Terrier. they do require more grooming than a pit but not by much and they are just like Pits in little bodies to me.

Basenjis are just neat. I need to learn more before I actually seriously look into getting one oneday..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Basenjis really are neat little dogs!

There is one that frequents our local dog park. This is the owner's 2nd or 3rd Basenji, and this guy knows his dogs... he said that this is the only basenji he's ever owned that could go to the dog park. The prey drive in these dogs is AMAZING. They may be small, but they are brutal if they decide to get into it with another dog... they can do a lot of damage.

Beautiful dogs, and very interesting, but a bit too much for me.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Though I did just bathe four of them, it's really amazing how little I have to do as far as grooming. Trim the feet every month and bathe and that's about it. To be fair though, the ones with proper coats do take a bit of brushing. I've probably only brushed Summer a few times since I got her almost a year ago. She's just way too easy of a dog in every way, really!

I like terriers, except for their propensity towards dog aggression. Summer isn't entirely dog friendly either so I don't know how that'd go over! Really that's her only problem is how unfriendly she is with other dogs. And then I like sight hounds except for the fact that Summer looks rather like a rabbit. :/

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basenjis really are neat little dogs!

There is one that frequents our local dog park. This is the owner's 2nd or 3rd Basenji, and this guy knows his dogs... he said that this is the only basenji he's ever owned that could go to the dog park. The prey drive in these dogs is AMAZING. They may be small, but they are brutal if they decide to get into it with another dog... they can do a lot of damage.

Beautiful dogs, and very interesting, but a bit too much for me.
Its really kind of funny...my perfect pack of dogs is a combination that would make many cringe...

I want a Pit Bull, a Catahoula, a Patterdale, possibly a Basenji, a Thai Ridgeback, a Tosa Inu and possibly a Bluetick Coonhound and maybe....just maybe a Norweigian Elkhound...but only when my kid is old enough that I can make him do the grooming:p

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Its really kind of funny...my perfect pack of dogs is a combination that would make many cringe...

I want a Pit Bull, a Catahoula, a Patterdale, possibly a Basenji, a Thai Ridgeback, a Tosa Inu and possibly a Bluetick Coonhound and maybe....just maybe a Norweigian Elkhound...but only when my kid is old enough that I can make him do the grooming:p
I would also love to add a smooth patterdale and a Dogo Argentino to my pack.....but I'm pretty sure my husband would kill me :)

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would also love to add a smooth patterdale and a Dogo Argentino to my pack.....but I'm pretty sure my husband would kill me :)
ooo I fogot Dogos!! I LOVE Dogos!! Give one of them too...and hand me a Fila Brasileiro while you are at it!

Gosh I need more little dogs in my dream pack...for balance...so everyone can have someone their own size to wrassle with..

Back to Basenjis...they get more and more interesting the more I read...they only have one estrus a year instead of the usual two..That's that primitiveness...very neat..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Back to Basenjis...they get more and more interesting the more I read...they only have one estrus a year instead of the usual two..That's that primitiveness...very neat..
As far as I know, they're one of (if not the) only *true* primitive breed left. Elkhounds were thought to be another of them, but DNA profiling has shown that they were actually recreated within the last few hundred years, and that the original elkhound the vikings worked with are long extinct.

Basenjis are definitely interesting little dogs. I have a feeling this phase will pass though :p. I can't see you ever getting anything except pits. They're your one true love.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts