Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of or gotten a puppy from hope hill doodles out of tomahawks WI
They seem legit and have all the breeding parents medical documents listed

it’s just tough for a normal person to know what is real or not

thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
They have a multiple puppy discount to encourage placing two puppies at the same time in the same household.

That is all I needed to read to know that I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Littermate syndrome is a real problem and two puppies the same age are very difficult to train well and care for. Like 4x the work of one rather than 2x

Edit to add more red flags:

Multiple litters at the same time. Not just two on a blue moon cause it worked out that way. At least 3 litters in August, 4 in November and 2 in December from a quick skim of the available puppy lists. Thats more than most good breeders produce over the course of a year PLUS the difficulty of properly socializing all those pups concurrently. Plus properly vetting new homes for them. Plus, any good breeder is willing to take back any dog they produce should a buyer be unable or unwilling to keep the dog. That gets pretty difficult commitment to make when you are cranking out the litters

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm less than impressed.

None of the purebreds look to be decent quality dogs (a couple don't even look like the breed they say they are), and one of the "Aussies" looks like she might be a double merle (lots of white, very little pigment).

What little health testing they do is DNA only, but the breeds they are breeding from should be getting OFA certification of x-rays and annual eye exams.

All the seem to do with their dogs (2 males and 16? females) is breed them. Not even a CGC or trick dog title on any of them.

And frankly, from what I've seen of breeders' websites, the more religion on them, the crummier the breeder.

Reactions: Shell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeez, I’m glad this forum exists

we are about to put a deposit down from a breeder called doodle dandy doodles out of Ledayard,CT

the breeder sent us health documents on the parents of the puppy we will be getting in may the litter is due in late March

I attached what she sent, I’m just trying to be responsible and buy a puppy from a responsible breeder

Attachments

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
It is good that the Dandy Doodle breeder is testing hips etc but the you will notice that few of the dogs have "OFA Normal" but rather they just are listed as "Normal"

That is because they are testing too young for an OFA number. Its not bad to test young to get a preliminary result since bad hips don't really get better so it can drop some dogs out of the show and breeding potential list but definitative results to know if a dog should be bred (as opposed to should not be bred) means testing at 24+ months of age.

There isn't enough info on their website to really give me much feel for that breeder.

Why a doodle? Its going to be a massive uphill battle to find a good doodle breeder.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Again, I'm not impressed.

When you look at the OFA database, no dogs with the prefix "Doodle Dandy" show up. I even searched for these two dogs by their registration numbers, and neither of them is in the database. The hips x-rays are preliminary, done before the dog was 24 months old, which is the earliest they can have a permanent hip rating. Not a clue as to why they didn't submit the patella and eye tests.

This is an official OFA hip rating certificate.

OFA hip by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

This is an eye certificate. For most breeds, eye exams need to be updated annually.

OFA eye by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
Oh, I wanted to add about LeoRose's comment on a breeder doing apparently nothing with their dogs like even a CGC.

CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen and its a test run by the AKC to prove good day to day manners of a dog. Nothing unique that the average dog and caring owner cannot train to succeed at. Lots of apartments like to see a CGC title for renters for example.

I put a CGC "title" on a semi-feral pit bull around 18 months of age after fostering her about 3 months. It was something like 8 weeks of once weekly evening classes.

Its something that should be obtainable for any dog who has a temperament worth reproducing. Like, its an example of a bare minimum to have an outside evaluator pass some kind of judgment on the dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts