Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Japanese Chin's fecal sample came back positive for hookworms, which we are thinking is the reason he hasn't had much of an appetite since we adopted him a week ago. He's been happy and energetic all along, but just hasn't eaten much. The vet wants to give us a powder to sprinkle over his food for 6 days, but if he isn't eating, how is it going to work?

We've seen that there are chewable tablets that they can take one time to get rid of hookworms. Has anyone tried these, and how well do they work?

Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota had worms when he was rescued. They gave me two tablets when I got him to finish up the worming, one to give him the next day, and then one for the week after. If that's what you're talking about, he ate them right up and he hasn't had worms since.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
You can mix the de-worming powder into something extra yummy: canned dog food, yogurt, meat flavored baby food, etc.--whatever he likes best. Make his medicine into a treat for him.

If that doesn't work, ask your vet for a tablet or liquid you can put directly into his mouth. Don't use OTC de-wormers!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i am guessing that they gave you panacur to mix with your pup's food. Hookworms are hard to eradicate. Most dogs will eat it mixed in with canned food or something yummy. Or the other choice is to mix the one packet of powder with water in a syringe and squirt it in his mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.