Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a sample of Honest Kitchen and Sassy wouldn't touch it. It smelled soo good. I don't understand why she won't eat it. I'm trying to come up with a sollution to feeding raw that the grandparents will agree with. So it looks like Honest Kitchen's out. Any other pre-made raw brands I could try?

·
Registered
631 Posts
What flavour did you try? My guys distinctly were turned off at the fish based grain free one. Loved the poultry ones. We had a bx of each on vacation. Eventually my foody guys gave in and ate whatever was offered, but the first couple of tries at home with their fish were the biggest flop ever. My guys never turn down food, except for that..

·
Registered
631 Posts
Longer I fed it, the easier it seemed to become. Smudge had serious issues getting mouthfuls of it as it becomes porridge like. I had to 'refluff' it multiple times.. And when he seemed done and frustrated, sometimes scoop out the remaining goop for him. I liked it as a vacation food. Packed in ziplocs worked well.. But I don't think I'd go to that much effort at home.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I highly recommend that you keep trying. Add avteensy bit with your dogs kibbleand gradually add more THK and less kibble. You can also make a thicker amount and freeze it in a kong

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm trying to come up with a sollution to feeding raw that the grandparents will agree with.
Depending how big Sassy is, you might look into some of the pre-made raw diets. If Sassy is a big girl (Is that her in your siggie?) then Primal might be too expensive. (Full of organics which cost more). Some of the other pre-mades might not be so expensive and suitable to your grandparents.

I feed my dogs Honest Kitchen every few days. They are on a raw diet but I want them used to eating a non-raw food in case of an emergency or if we need to travel or they have to be boarded. One of my friends came on to a sweet deal with a company that supplies hotels and restaurants with meat. They grind, package and freeze meat that we purchase in rolls. I am able to get chicken, duck, beef and turkey. They mix in a small amount of veggies and organ meat in the roll. I add HK Preference veggie mix and add Halshan package heart from time to time. It's really cost effective compared to what I used to pay for Primal. Maybe your grandparents might not object to ground meat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's about 103lbs. I bought some Nature's Varity freeze dried patties to try. She's on BB wilderness, but I don't like the canned food the grandparents buy for her. They always get Alpo/pedigree/Ceasers. Ick.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Premade raw for 100 lb dog could get pretty pricey. My four add up to about 70 lbs all together and Primal was costing me a bundle. Moving to the new source has just about cut the price in half. I think Primal is about as expensive as they get. If the grandparents don't like the concept of raw that's one thing. (Wrapping your head around feeding your dog raw meat is sometimes hard for folks....especially us vintage types). If they are thinking about the cost....sometimes it helps to point out that more nutritious food means a healthier dog and a healthier dog means less vet bills. Win-win.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im thinking about switching my puppy to this. never feed anything to dogs but kibble. is it easy? how many feeds does one box have? (i have a 5lb JRT/beagle mix)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
im thinking about switching my puppy to this. never feed anything to dogs but kibble. is it easy? how many feeds does one box have? (i have a 5lb JRT/beagle mix)
I just recently got a few samples. I was surprised at how easy it really was. I think it can sound a intimidating to someone who has only fed kibble, but all you do is mix with water and let it sit for a few minutes.

As far as how long a box lasts, it depends on the size. I think the smallest all of the varieties come in is a 4lb box, which it seems like for a 5lb puppy that would last a good while.

One thing I really like about this company is that I have emailed them about each one of my 4 dogs and they went over which variety would be best for each dog based on the information I gave them. They helped me figure out how much each dog would eat. So Disneygirl85, email them and they will definitely help you ease into feeding third food.

I tried Embark and Force (which smelled really good). I haven't decided which to feed and I am waiting on more samples to arrive (they have a trial size box that i think is about a cup of food for around $3.50 and a taste test trial box of each flavor for about $1.00). My dogs took to both flavors and were extremely excited while waiting for the food to rehydrate. It isn't the prettiest food though, so be prepared for that.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
ladshadowetc (LOL) is right about their customer service. I don't email much, I usually call them. For anyone who feeds it, make sure you sign up for the emails, make sure you save all your UPC's and "like" them on fB too!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally loves Honest Kitchen (Chicken and Turkey varieties).

It might be expensive, but when you can't buy meat for 50 cents a pound like some people can on the board - it's cheaper than trying to buy steaks or chicken pieces raw to feed him enough food to be balanced and maintain his weight.

I get the big box sizes and it lasts quite a while.

·
Registered
731 Posts
All mine had to get over a hump. I had a small bit sprinkled into some canned and slowly did more for my first dog on it. Some others have had an easier transition but all have loved it. My current two scream for it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feed both of mine THK - when I first gave it to them they were a little weirded out but now they love it and prefer it over dry food. I would recommend starting with Keen and adding a little raw or cooked meat to it. I currently feed Keen to one and Thrive to the other due to allergies and they seem to be the two flavors they like best. I went through a box of Embark but it wasn't a big hit. In between flavors I also get Preference and add the meat myself.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I just read an article in the Whole Dog Journal last week, then saw a Dr. Karen Becker video the other day, both talking about how kibble is last on the best foods to feed. Raw, premade raw, canned, wet (such as THK) then kibble. Interesting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts