Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got a new homeowners insurance company and when they asked about dogs I told them about mine. I said I did not know what he was but that he was mixed and described his size etc. I honestly don't know what all he's mixed with, but he's much taller I think than most pits I've seen, and I think his mother had some boxer in her. He ranges from 90-100lbs.

So, a few questions:

1. Can you guys help ID him (I'll attach a photo)? They want me to take him to a vet to visually ID him. We just have him listed as mix at the vet so I'm not sure what they will say he actually is.

2. Is this typical? No other insurer has ever asked me to take my dog to the vet in the past.

3. After running into this I looked it up and I live in PA. Apparently, PA and MI have laws against this sort of practice? Will I still be impacted with higher rates if the vet confirms he's on their dangerous dog list? He's nearly 8 years old now and has never been violent to anyone. I honestly can't believe I'm being asked to do this

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
A lot of insurance companies won't write a homeowners policy if you own certain breeds. This little article is specific to Doberman Pinschers, but does have a list of companies that don't have breed restrictions. Doberman Insurance - Homeowners Insurance & the Doberman Pinscher

Our homeowners policy simply doesn't cover any damage caused by our animals. We probably should look into getting an umbrella liability policy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I've been through 3 different home insurers over the years as I searched for better rates and just never had this issue before. Hopefully, the vet will be able to ID him as something non-violent.

I'm not an expert in dog id by any means. I've just been looking around and seems he's very similar to some boxer/mastiff or boxer/rott photos online. Rott would be bad though as I'm pretty sure they are on the list as well. I guess I'm just purely at the mercy of the vets determination.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Honestly, I really wish that they would just go by the individual dog's temperament rather than some list of so-called dangerous breeds. My snarky, reactive "Lab mix" was way more of a liability than either my GSD or APBT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.