Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good recipes or know where I can go online for some? I'd like to try some for my pups (and maybe some for my finicky cat?)?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Some of the favorites at our house are turkey hotdogs cut lengthwise twice, then crosswise into 1/4" chiunks (small dogs here, adjust as necessary), then spread out on a plate and microwave for about 5 minutes until the water has been rendered out. They will keep in a ziplock bag at room temp for a couple of days, and you can freeze them for months. They make great training treats. There is a fair bit of salt in most hot dogs so use your discretion.

If I have any hard cheeses in the house that are starting to go south I cut it up into small chunks for our dogs, and leave them on the counter (or put them in a cold oven for safe keeping if you have a cat in the house) to dry out. I usually keep those in the fridge.

Liver bits...boil some beef lever for 3-4 minutes. Then chop into 1/2" chunks. Bake on foiled cookie sheet for 45 minutes at 375 degrees, or until dried out. (I try to do this one when I can have the windows open or when the DH is not home, especially if someone in your house doesn't like liver or the smell...however the dogs iwll be salivating for this one...the smellier the better) I usually make a bunch at once and portion them into smaller bags, storing them in the freezer, taking out a bag as needed. If you do a good job dehydrating them in the oven you don't need to refrigerate them if used within a few days. But other wise you can keep them in the fridge.

There are dozens of websites with recipes for biscuits and such. Just do an internet search and look for recipes that will work for your dog or that you can modify ingredients to suit your needs.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Liver bits...boil some beef lever for 3-4 minutes. Then chop into 1/2" chunks. Bake on foiled cookie sheet for 45 minutes at 375 degrees, or until dried out. (I try to do this one when I can have the windows open or when the DH is not home, especially if someone in your house doesn't like liver or the smell...however the dogs iwll be salivating for this one...the smellier the better)
The nice thing about living alone, I don't have to worry about anyone else! I like liver so this will be a good one. I also never thought about the turkey hot dogs. And I do end up with some hard cheese (I use the slice kind for giving pills and I always end up with some hard stuff).

I knew I put out this thread for a reason! Thanks all and I'm still looking for more so don't be shy! ;)

OOOhhhhh, I went on line and found this website...I'm gonna have fun tomorrow!

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes.htm

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Great link Becky! We're doing a fundraiser thing in Sept. and we're making dog treats to sell (like a doggy bake sale) so I saved that page to use when it gets closer. :D

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I bookmarked it. I think that I'm going to make the PB biscuits and the Yogurt Pups tomorrow since I have all of the ingredients already.

Thanks for sharing the link! Eddie and Uallis will love you for it! :D

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I could answer my own question and help others ;) I'm going to the store today and will make sure I have the basics to make some for my babies. Now I gotta find some for Mort (since cats are so weird in what they should eat and he don't do canned food...at all).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great ideas, I think I'll try the liver bits for the dogs, even though it sounds quite gross :)
The other recipes were good too, but can you give me an idea how much is a cup of something? Is it a normal coffee cup or some specific measurement?

alphadoginthehouse - my cat loves cheese and cold meat!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great ideas, I think I'll try the liver bits for the dogs, even though it sounds quite gross :)
The other recipes were good too, but can you give me an idea how much is a cup of something? Is it a normal coffee cup or some specific measurement?

alphadoginthehouse - my cat loves cheese and cold meat!
A cup is 8 oz. I like liver so I won't have a problem making those treats.:D I actually bought some liver today at the store.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I went out today and bought some of the stuff to make the treats too! I needed wheat flour. lol I think that I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm also going to make the Big Boy Beef Biscuits but I think I'm going to use potted meat instead of the beef flavored baby food. I only have banana baby food. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Have fun, the dogs sure will! So far I haven't made any treats for the dogs that weren't a big hit. It isn't just eating, you are in the kitchen and the possibility of food landing on the floor, the smells, the anticipation, the clean up, it is all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts