Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again :) I was wondering if anyone had some "homemade tick removal or repellant"... just curious :) I'm getting 3 new dogs today, and a groomer is currently cleaning them up, they have really bad ticks... but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on homemade tick repellant :) thanks :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
diatomaceous earth and garlic are 2 good options for a little more natural. Treat the inside of the house, outside and dogs because the ticks will crawl off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do know a thing or two about tick removal!

I wouldn't recommend applying a lighter or match flame to a tick that's burrowed into your dog. Nor would I apply anything to try to kill it! The reason is.. when the tick is approached with these things it panics and regurgitates the blood that it has ingested as well as its own contents.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions! I suppose this is more important when you're dealing with disease-carrying ticks... i.e. Lyme! It's more risky when the tick spits up and back into the poor animal!

Best way to do it is just yank it off, carefully!! Use a slow, twisting motion with a good pair of tweezers. Try to get it all out, like the mouthpart. Sometimes this can get infected, but doesn't get any worse than a pimple!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts