Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are not my recipes. I searched the forum and created a summary list for myself. I thought I'd share it, too. If you have a favorite recipe that isn't listed, please post.

Liver Treats
2 pounds raw beef liver
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp garlic
Blend it together, place batter in 9x12 cake pan, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut into treat sizes and freeze.

Apple and Cinnamon "Lollipups"

Ingredients:
2 apples, chopped
aprox 2 fl oz water
i lb flour (wheat or gluten free for dogs with allergies)
2 beaten eggs, plus extra to glaze
1/4 pint olive oil
2 oz wheat germ
4 tbl spoons honey
1 1/2 tbl spoon ground cinnamon
10-15 rawhide sticks

puree apple with the water. mix the apple puree with the flour eggs, oil, wheat germ, honey, and cinnamon in large bowl, adding a little more water if dry

knead the dough on lightly floured surface to abuot 1/4 inch thick. use round or paw shaped cookie cutter, making sure to cut an even amount. brush each cookie with left over egg and sprinkle with addt. cinnamon. place one cookie on top of another, egg brushed sides together. pinch edges together

place cookies on baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart. bake in preheated oven, 300 degrees celsius for 15-20 min

make 1/2 inch wide incision between the two cookie layers with small knife, and insert 1/3 of the length of a rawhide stick between cookies, and wrap remaining length of bone with baking foil. return the cookies to the oven, but turn it off. let them cool and harden for 1-2 hours.

For a frosting, mix 4 oz low fat cream cheese, 4 tbl spoons of olive oil, and 1 tbl spoon of pure vanilla extract and beat until fluffy, then decorate "lollipups" as you please!

peanut butter yogurt licks

1-32oz. container of vanilla yogurt
1 cup of peanut butter

1. Put the peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted.
2. Mix the yogurt and the melted peanut butter in a bowl.
3. Pour mixture into cupcake papers and freeze.

Dog Cookies
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup bisquik gluten free biscuit mix
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
2 tbl. spoons olive oil
1 cup warm water

Mix together, if it's to loose add more oatmeal. divide in 2 and make into logs on wax paper, refrigerate for an hour. Preheat oven to 325. Slice logs and form into cookies, put on cookie sheet, for 45 min. turning once. Wait till thier cool before serving.

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Cookies
1 egg
1 C pure pumpkin
1 tbsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 C peanut butter
2 C flour
1 tsp vanilla

I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 min, then took them out and cut them up into 1/2" squares.

Peanut Butter Dog Treats

Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp. baking powder

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine flours and baking powder in large bowl.

3. Mix milk and peanut butter in large bowl, until smooth.

4. Gradually stir flour mixture into wet ingredients.

5. Knead dough by hand, adding small amounts of milk if mixture is too dry.

6. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to desired thickness and cut out treats with cookie cutter of choice.

7. Bake on cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes, modifying timing for dough thickness and treat size.

Meaty Homemade Pet Treats

Ingredients: 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 2 jars baby food (any meat flavor)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan w/parchment paper
Mix ingredients until smooth. Spread evenly in pan.
Bake 15 minutes or until center is firm.
Cool and cut into squares.
The treats will have a consistency similar to a sponge.
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Good used as small training treats.

Baked Chicken Livers
Just sprinkle lightly with garlic powder and put in the a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes @350F. Cool and cut to the size you want.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DIY Eat: Easy, Beefy Agility Treats
Make your dog smile with these drool-worthy treats

These healthy, soft, little nibbles are ideal for training, playing, and having fun. Our only caveat? Once your dog discovers what a smashing good chef you are, you'll never get him out of the kitchen. You need just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes to throw them together. Just don't skip the grease-proof paper step. Liver is hard to clean off once it's dried on.

Ingredients
½ pound of beef
½ pound beef liver
2 ¼ cups rolled oats
1 ¾ cups wholegrain spelt flour
3 or 4 free-range eggs

Directions
Wash the beef and the liver, pat dry with a kitchen towel, and cut into small pieces. Use a food processor to mince the meat. Add the eggs, oats, and wholegrain spelt flour (find it at your local health food store, usually in the bulk aisle) and process the mixture on the highest setting for 3 minutes. Cover a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper and smear the paper with butter. Pour the mixture into the tray to the depth of a finger’s width. A little parsley sprinkled on at this stage will add to the flavour. Bake in a pre-heated 350° F/180° C oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Leave to cool and then carefully ease out of the baking tray. When completely cool, cut into little squares of about 1/2 inch. Store in the refrigerator.

*from Dog Cookies: Healthy Allergen-free Treat Recipes for Your Dog by Martina Schops (2011, Hubble & Hattie)

More recipes from Modern Dog magazine's web site:
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/search/node/D.I.Y.+Eat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for posting these :) I just made my first home made dog treat, an Arlo loves them. It feels really good to be giving him something that I have confidence in (ingredients-wise)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts