Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the all the issues that are popping up about commercial dog foods we have decided to make our own. Now we have dabbled with this in past using the home food as a supplement to the dry food. We started using 100% homemade food today. Our two older dogs (Bouvier Des Flandres and a Greyhound) are fine so far, however our American Bull Dog pup threw up her dinner. I figured that she ate something on our walk that upset her tummy. I gave a bit more food later and within about an hour, she vomited again. I wonder if we should mix the dry food and homemade food and introduce it more slowly? I also wonder if we fed her too much? Is there any way to measure home made food volume against commercial dry food?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kathyy.

As it turns out the puppy was just gorging her self with the food. We gave her smaller portions today, and mashed the food down into the bowl so she could gulp down mouth fulls. So far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we are fairly new to the home made thing. We had done some reading for the past while on it. What appears to food related illnesses in my pets have just gotten to be too much.

I now know exactly what is going into my dog's food.

We are using recipes that are approximately 40% protein, 30% starches, and 30% vegetables.

We have used different meat for the protein. Some times we use chicken and salmon, and other times we will use beef and venison (when avail). Eggs are sometimes included.

For starch we will use potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal and pasta. (not at the same time)

For veggies we use peas, carrots, broccoli, squash, cauliflower and pretty much anything else that does not pose a danger to their health.

We also will include some fruits.

I do want to start adding some oils to the mix. Fish, olive and flaxseed oils are suppose to be beneficial.

We cook the food and then place portions in zip lock bags and freeze them.

We have used the home food as a supplement in the past but now we are using 100%.

We just have to keep a close eye on the dogs weight, coat, and general health to make sure the protions we feed them are acceptable.

So far we have notice all three of three of the dogs drink less and poop less.

I am not really sold on the raw food idea. I won't argue that it is not beneficial but seem even less convenient than cooking the food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts