Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here can share their own homemade dog food recipes? Currently I'm just combining these following ingredients for my dog:

Vegetables:
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Green Beans
  • Green peas
  • Spinach
  • Cucumbers
Meat

• Ground Beef/Pork
  • Chicken Strips
Add Rice

For treats I use fruits

Fruits:
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Banana
  • Watermelon

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
You need to include bone and organs (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, etc.) as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You need to include bone and organs (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, etc.) as well.
Since you're using rice, I'm assuming this is a cooked diet. You do not use bone in cooked diets, which is one of the reasons I used cooked - I can't bring myself to feed bones. When I cooked for my dog, I used a calcium supplement. You pretty much need a spreadsheet to do the balancing and make sure you're covering all necessary nutrients. Might start with Monica Segal's books on canine nutrition. She's the only one I know of that I'd trust for info on balanced canine diet. Amazon has the paperback versions of her books on the subject, and she has a digital version on her website. She also sells recipes, but I've never explored those (I feed raw and these days use a base mix because I got tired of worrying about what nutrients were or weren't in what I was feeding, but that's an expensive way to go unless you have a Chihuahua).

You can find recipes on other websites, but I don't know how you sort the wheat from the chaff, and I do know a lot of them are deficient. I spent hours and days making my own recipe with a spreadsheet. If you have an 85-pound dog and know how to do private messages on this forum, let me know, I did it in WordPerfect, but I bet I could make a pdf of it and send it to you. If nothing else it would give you an idea of where to start if you wanted to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I didn't think about a cooked diet. Yeah, no cooked whole bones. If the bones are ground up along with the meat, it's probably okay, though. Dogs crunching on raw bones is a rather... unnerving... sound when you first start feeding prey model raw. I've since switched back to kibble, since it's easier, but they do still get the occasional raw chicken foot or neck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I didn't think about a cooked diet. Yeah, no cooked whole bones. If the bones are ground up along with the meat, it's probably okay, though. Dogs crunching on raw bones is a rather... unnerving... sound when you first start feeding prey model raw. I've since switched back to kibble, since it's easier, but they do still get the occasional raw chicken foot or neck.
Before I took the lazy (and expensive) way out and started using a base mix for my girls, I was using grinds which have the recommended percentage of bone in with the meat. I feel like there was a warning not to cook them somewhere, maybe on the seller's website. Of course that could be my ever-active imagination.

My problem with feeding bones isn't really anything like rational or reasonable. I'm older than dirt, and after a lifetime of hearing chicken bones will kill a dog, I can't get over the indoctrination, even though I know it's based on cooked bones. When I got my older girl, who was raised on raw, the breeder gave me half a dozen small chicken breasts. I fed one and that was it. Not only did it repulse me, it left me worrying and guilty all night. Of course I have the same problem with raw chicken as with bones. Other meats okay, but chicken, no. Brainwashed young I was. And I also admit to wondering if that raw feeding of Story's pg dam and the puppies themselves had anything to do with the fact that an entire litter of puppies whose parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents had good health clearances all had orthopedic problems. Maybe the genes of the particular parents just combined badly, but I'll always wonder, and I'd never feed homemade to a puppy just in case.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Maybe that was just a bad luck litter? I've got friends who feed raw, and wean their pups onto raw. They've not had issues with any of their litters so far. One has Dobermans and the other has Vizslas.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe that was just a bad luck litter? I've got friends who feed raw, and wean their pups onto raw. They've not had issues with any of their litters so far. One has Dobermans and the other has Vizslas.
Maybe it was, but you always wonder and look for reasons, or at least I do. It's not that I think just raw would do it, but that I think if something were out of whack, like calcium/phosphorus amounts and ratio.... Well, I'm not going to quiz anyone whose heart was also broken, but....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey! Thanks for your opinions. I have a 2 month old beagle and an 8 month old Shih Tzu.

Yes, I'm feeding a cooked diet. I'll include your suggestions, thank you so much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts