Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well we are doing homemade dog food cause our dog went off dog food. We tired and tired but she would not go back to it. SO we get recipes for home made and well she loved it so we are sticking to it. ANY way we got to get the right vitumins and stuff in the food so she gets what she needs.
Ok so well we got fish oil, flaxseed oil, cod oil, bone meal, B complex, and thats it for the moment. we still got other things we got to get.
Well any way we need to know how much to put into the food.
Can some one help me out on this?

·
Registered
703 Posts
UC Davis, in Davis, California, will do a free analysis of your pet food and make suggestions. They were very helpful to us.

Ok well we are doing homemade dog food cause our dog went off dog food. We tired and tired but she would not go back to it. SO we get recipes for home made and well she loved it so we are sticking to it. ANY way we got to get the right vitumins and stuff in the food so she gets what she needs.
Ok so well we got fish oil, flaxseed oil, cod oil, bone meal, B complex, and thats it for the moment. we still got other things we got to get.
Well any way we need to know how much to put into the food.
Can some one help me out on this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH ok, is that a user on this site or ?
I forgot to put what the dog food is,
Its white rice *she will not eat brown*, a meat such as *turkey, or beef, or chicken*, peas and carrot chunks, and bits of chopped up hard boiled egg.
The meat is cooked.

UC Davis, in Davis, California, will do a free analysis of your pet food and make suggestions. They were very helpful to us.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
You shouldn't go overboard with the supplements. Where are you getting your recipes?

Recipes from good books are designed to be nutritionally balanced based on the NRC standards. They should have recommended supplements and amounts for those.

Specific raw feeding plans like the "whole prey model" are also designed to be balanced.

Random recipes online in general aren't necessarily balanced. You shouldn't just supplement randomly. A lot of nutrients can cause problems in excess just like nutrient deficiencies.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What amounts of each ingredient are you feeding?

UC Davis is a university. I'm sure if you Google them you can find their e-mail address.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a recipe off of a dog food web site out there.
I make enough food to store in smaller containers and freeze so i dont have to keep remaking every other day. We feed her two times a day. Sense week been feeding her home made stuff she has been showing signs of being more happy and healthy with more energy.
2 cups rice
1lb meat
1 cup carrots and peas
1 egg

none is raw we dont do raw foods with her. We tried that in the past and she will not touch it. There are no salts or any strange things added to the food ether. When she went off her food she was off for like a week, would not touch nothing. We tried so much dog food, so many brands. But when we did the home making she loved it. Thing is she is not getting all the nutrients she needs. Im just thinking of calling the vet let them tell me what i need to add.

The nutrients i listed i have not put in her food yet we just got them. We are doing alot of research on it, just wanted to know how much to add thats all.
OH she is a 14lb dog also.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
There is also premade raw that is nutritionally balanced, I saw some good you tube vids on how to make a bunch up at a time using the raw rolls & chubs. It was pretty cool.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
The nutrients i listed i have not put in her food yet we just got them. We are doing alot of research on it, just wanted to know how much to add thats all.
OH she is a 14lb dog also.
Just looking at those ingredients, the obvious nutrient missing is calcium which is what the bone meal would be for.

Honestly I would feel better finding a recipe that's actually analyzed to meet the NRC nutritional requirements and just follow those supplement recommendation.

If you haven't, go look at the dogaware site http://dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
They have reviews on books and links to online resources and materials you can study up.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That recipe is a start but could be a lot better. If you add that bone meal you already have [it is human grade, right?] and use 2 cups of cooked rice, not raw then it is a bit better. If you have already made a batch of food then add in another measure of meat and the bone meal at a rate of 900 mg per pound of meaty stuff. If you assume that is cooked rice then it is 3 cups plant to 2 cups meat when it needs to be at least 1:1 and it is far better if it is 3 parts meaty stuff to 1 part plant stuff. If the recipe calls for raw rice then it is 7 cups plant to 2 cups meat!

Dogs have a much higher need for calcium than humans, my 38 pound dog needs as much as an adult human. When a recipe for dogs doesn't mention calcium it I see a red flag, this recipe didn't mention calcium? Put in whatever 900 mg of calcium is of that bone meal per pound of meat fed and calcium will be fine then you can fuss with the rest of it as you go on. The NOW bone meal has 900 mg of calcium per rounded teaspoon for instance.

A dog doesn't have to have every single mg of this and that daily or it falls over all malnourished in a couple of days but you need to get on it so in a month or so the diet contains all it needs. Use red meat like beef, pork or lamb and it will be better than if it is chicken.

I suggest going to dogaware.com and looking through the list of recommended dog food cookbooks. Check your library, you may be able to check some of them out there, some are on Amazon and can be looked through there or on google books. I have Monica Segal's book 'Optimal Nutrition' and it is extremely complete and very very dense with information. I am sure K9 Nutrition is every bit as good.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/bookreviews.html

Dr. Strombeck's book on cooking for dogs and cats is available online. Old but the recipes are very simple and okay.
http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm

Chose one and follow that system of feeding.

You can find the suggested dose of fish oil in the supplement section too. Cod liver and flax oil aren't particularly important supplements. Vitamin Bs are very high in meats and organs, my dog gets his requirement easily from his raw diet, vitamin A from the tiny bit of liver and dogs aren't supposed to need vitamin C at all. I do give him a vitamin E supplement though, currently am trying out yummy sunflower seeds ground fine!

I am all for feeding fresh food to my pets and it isn't an impossible task but good that you are asking for some resources to help you figure this out. Hope your dog likes the stuff you come up with!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is a university in California with a very active animal veterinary department.

OH ok, is that a user on this site or ?
I forgot to put what the dog food is,
Its white rice *she will not eat brown*, a meat such as *turkey, or beef, or chicken*, peas and carrot chunks, and bits of chopped up hard boiled egg.
The meat is cooked.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Last time I looked at the Balance It site it was pretty bad but it has improved a lot! You can put your dog's information in along with the sort of thing you want to feed and it comes up with a recipe. You can see the nutrient profile and the actual recipe, you must buy the supplement to complete the diet and you can even compare what the nutrient profile is with and without the supplement. I did not care for the two I tried. I did one with just meat, the sort of thing Max already eats, and there was far more of every single nutrient than he needs. I did one using grain and fish and it was extremely low in protein and had really huge amounts of all the essential nutrients. One example, the one I did with original Potato and ground beef showed 78 mg of zinc. An adult human needs about 15 and NRC levels are 15 for Max. I know some forms of zinc are less absorbed than others but this is kind of scary for me.

Do go have a look at it. Might be a good fit for you. About BalanceIT.
https://secure.balanceit.com/info/aboutus.php

To make a recipe.
https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/recipes/recipegenerator/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts