Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start homecooking food for Ruby. Just basically simmered chicken, rice, pureed veggies, etc. Nothing too fancy.

I want to make sure she gets enough calcium, bone meal, vitamins, etc, though since there wouldn't be any bones in the mix.

Is there a calcium/vitamin supplement that homecookers use? Should I find ground bone meal?

fyi background: Ruby does not eat raw or kibble the way that I have presented them (raw: teensy bits, bigger bits, shaved bones, meaty bones, chicken, organs, beef, pork. kibble: Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Beneful, Beneful Canned).

She does like homecooked stewed/roasted chicken and turkey, rice, and veggies, though that I have made. She also likes cooked organs.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Elsa's on a homecooked diet formulated by a veterinary nutritionist. Our vet gave us the option of making our own all-n-one supplement or buying an all-n-one supplement, with the calcium and any other phytonutrients a dog would need. I chose the easy route and use BalanceIT.

I can't tell you how much to use as the amount is specific to your recipe and dog's weight. You could buy a recipe from BalanceIT along with the product, or maybe a phone call to them would suffice. IDK.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use BalanceIt as well, my dogs get raw in the morning and home cooked in the evenings. I love that each recipe is customized exactly for them. My dogs love their recipes and I have to say using their supplement is SO much easier than trying to add all the needed supplements yourself....
Good luck to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts