Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a home remedy to get my 2 dogs to stop chewing on the base board of all my walls. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Well you can always get phooey from Petco, it works well, but it sounds like your dogs could be a little bored (major reasons dogs chew is boredom and cutting teeth). I'd get them something appropriate to chew on (such as a stuffed kong, bully stick or raw meaty bone) and up the training and excercise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have all those. And toys are all over the house. They mainly do it when we are gone or if one isn't playing with the other. I didn't mind it when it was just our laundry room lol. But now they are doing it in the bedroom and living room. I will give anything a try.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Then you may have a deeper problem, such as the start of separation anxiety. For now, I'd crate to protect your home and the dogs (chewing baseboards can be harmful to them as they often contain toxic chemicals) Be sure the crate is a good place for them and they enjoy it. It's truly the only reliable remedy as some dogs will ignore the taste of anti chewing aids of the desire to chew is strong enough.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sorry to hear that, for you and your dogs. Perhaps he'll reconsider if you explain it could well save the dogs lives or keep you from having huge repair and vet bills.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree, you should try and convince your b/f to crate. Dogs are den animals, they need that safe place to go to sleep, or when they are scared. Even though dogs are domesticated, there are some things from nature that you can't take out of them, and borrowing is one of them. So dogs are fine without crates, but some need them. Do your research!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is too bad. Will he be willing to baby gate? Is there a place where the dogs could not chew on anything that could be gated off?

I think the b/f probably just (mistakenly) thinks crating is "cruel." I have come across this a lot with my family that thinks I am abusive for crating my dog. Uh, no. Abusive would be to constantly be P.O'd at my dog for destroying the house and hurting himself. Crating is the kind thing to do in some situations.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You could gate them in the kitchen/laundry room. Then apply Bitter apple spray to the baseboards, or you can get some stuff called "Raplast/ Rap Last" from Jeffers supply online. It's for horses to prevent them chewing their leg wraps, and is MUCH more effective than anything else. It WILL stain carpet, so don't get it on the carpet.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You could gate them in the kitchen/laundry room. Then apply Bitter apple spray to the baseboards, or you can get some stuff called "Raplast/ Rap Last" from Jeffers supply online. It's for horses to prevent them chewing their leg wraps, and is MUCH more effective than anything else. It WILL stain carpet, so don't get it on the carpet.

What's more, DON'T get it on you and if you do, don't touch your face. I had a VERY bad experience with this product when it got on some bolts during the installation of an auto waterer at the stables I worked at. I wiped my brow with a gloved hand and didn't know rap Last had gotten on it. I was sweating and the stuff got into the pores of my face and down into my eyes, VERY unpleasant!!!!!

Wear rubber gloves when handling the product and DO NOT spray it, paint it on with an old brush and dispose of the brush immediatly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts