Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you take your dog to a groomer or do everything from home?

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do everything from home. From brushing,bathing,brushing teeth, and everything else. It's alot of work but, you can really bond with your dog that way.Expesally brushing you can really bond with your dog. You get alittle messy but, it's worth it for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
We do everything ourselves as well. They are labs so they don't need hair cuts. They shed enough hehe. I cut their nails myself. It is so funny because Shadow will lay right on her back and is eager for me to cut her nails. Sadie is a little more of a challenge but I get it done no problem. They have black nails and the quicks are black so I need to be really careful when I do it. I have never cut one of their quicks thank goodness. I clean their ears too. They love to swim and they have those ears that don't let the insides of their ears breathe very well. So I have to get in there and clean them really good. Sadie loves to be brushed and she even lets up vacuum her. Shadow is not a fan of the vacuum cleaner at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe- my inside dog flip ( shes a lab ) is scard of the vaccum

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
We bathe him at home, but when it comes to trimming his claws, I take him to the vet for that. I would freak out if I accidently cut to much off and he started to bleed! It's not that expensive. Our vet only charges us $10!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats pretty good. I have never cut my dog's nails before.We go for so many walks on the road that it files them down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I take him to a groomer. I just went and picked him up about two hours ago. I prefer taking him there because its alot easier for me, and they do a really good job. Its also a pretty fair price for all of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Simple brushing I do at home. It's easy. I take Emily to the groomer for her bath, clipping, and nails. Also easier. I know it is probably less expensive to do all her grooming at home, but she's a pretty big dog and my time is worth something too. Besides, the groomer is set up for it, the groomer is used to doing it, and I'll go less crazy to take Emily there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think being a groomer would be a fun job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I do everything at home - she doesn't like strangers. Sometimes she really likes it when I brush her though. She really likes it when I vacuum her. I know that sounds weird, but it must feel good or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the two months we've had him, we have done everything for Ricky at home. But at four months and almost 40 pounds, I am realistic enough to realize that some day he won't fit into the tub easily anymore and plan to take him to the groomer for baths. He has short hair so I think we can continue to do the rest at home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bathed my dog in the tub. He was only ten pounds, though. He hated it, but we managed. I don't think I could have had the same disagreement with a large dog and won. :)

Even when I was growing up we bathed our Fritz in the tub. I don't think there were as many groomers in the 60s, but it's not that difficult, is it? Do other dogs hate it as much as my Porky?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah my dog HATES taking showers, but he will go out and play in huge puddles and get soaking wet and dirty though. He's such an odd dog.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Snowbird I know how you feel about cutting too much. I did once and I felt so bad. He forgave me real quick though. He is such a sweet boy.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Ricky's-Mom said:
For the two months we've had him, we have done everything for Ricky at home. But at four months and almost 40 pounds, I am realistic enough to realize that some day he won't fit into the tub easily anymore and plan to take him to the groomer for baths. He has short hair so I think we can continue to do the rest at home.
so??? do it at home

·
Registered
31 Posts
retriever crazy said:
hehe- my inside dog flip ( shes a lab ) is scard of the vaccum
One of my labs, Mocha is scared of the vaccuum too!

We do everything ourselves. We bathe them, brush them, treat them for flees, clean their ears, trim their nails, brush their teeth,and whatever else a groomer would do. (I'm not sure since I've never taken a dog there :)) But I wish a groomer would treat them for flees, clean their ears, trim their nails, and brush their teeth because neither of my dogs like to have that done to them. They run away whenever I try and do any of this to them. But they don't mind baths or being brushed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We do all our grooming at home since there isn't much to do but clip nails and run a brush through.

Darcy:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used to take Beau to the groomers at PetSmart to be shaved during the summer and to have his nails trimmed. Most of the time, if he needs a bath we do that at home. Except around the holidays-then there is never enough time. Te last time we have him shaved, we used a service called Aussie Pet Mobile Grooming. They sent a groomer out to our house (after 5pm) and he was done in an hour. :) It was a little more expensive, but considering all the time, gas and effort it usually took to get him to PetSmart (and keep him in the building once he realized what we were there for), it was worth it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts