Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeding my pet with only homemade food is good for health? because i don't trust the ingredients in the packed food

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sure... if and only if you do the research and put in the effort to make sure your pup's diet is balanced and species appropriate. It might help us to know what kind of homemade diet you were considering - I personally feed prey model raw at the moment, but there's also a lot of different home-cooked diets out there. Many are good, many are terrible (run far away from any vegetarian/vegan recipes - dogs may be more opportunistic than many carnivores, but carnivores they still are).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I've been feeding fresh food since 2007. One important resource is dogaware.com. There are diet guidelines, reading lists, foods to avoid and so on posted there. I'll put it out here, any recipe you find online that doesn't contain added calcium isn't suitable to feed continuously - that eliminates a lot of them right there.

As DaySleepers posted dogs are carnivores. They also need concentrated nutrition. My Max weighed 38 pounds and in his daily 600 calories needed to cram in as much zinc, protein, iron, calcium and many other nutrients as an adult human.

You could start out with Dr. Strombeck's recipes. Very simple. Do measure carefully and a scale is very useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts