Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good home cooked recipes? I'm not looking to switch fully but just looking as an alternative to canned/dehydrated/premade raw stuff they get in addition to their kibble. I've found some online and some are very very basic and others very complicated.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
You might try Monica Segal's book; it includes recipes and details for creating your own. (google her name; my first post with link was sent to moderation)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It makes a ton of food if you are up to it but basically cooking a prey model diet by taking the bones and cooking until soft enough to puree and mixing with lots of boneless meat and some liver is pretty nice.

5 pound whole chicken
5 pounds lean hamburger
4 pounds pork chunks
1 pound beef liver
Add up to 4 pounds of veggie scraps to this for bulk if you like, use grain if you like, about 1 pound of raw rice or oatmeal.
Easier to cook each ingredient separately due to the large amount of food, use food processor to chop them up or easier, a stick blender in the pot.

After chicken is cooked put bones and fresh water into slow cooker and cook until bones are softened. It smells odd and takes about 24 hours, I do this in the garage. Puree them with the cooking water and mix all ingredients together. This would feed a 50 pound dog for 15 days so divide accordingly. Cannot tell you a weight or volume measure due to varying water content. Mine came out dry enough it was easy to pack in foil though and I added more water at meal time so it wasn't swallowed in big chunks. It is much denser than canned dog food as there is a lot less water.

Not a perfect food. I add 1 multi mineral tablet, 4 grams of ground brazilnut, fish oil and vitamin E to my 25 pounds of dogs' raw diet and I did the same for this recipe when I made it for Max and Ginger finished it off after he died. If you are using in rotation with commercial diet then it would be fine though as while it is low in a few things it is not seriously so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts