Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is now on kibble - Brit Care (wonder if anyone knows this brand). She was on Science Diet, had itchy skin and yeast infection in her ears (should have done my research). She couldn't digest it also (I could see the kibble come out intact in her poo). Science diet is terrible!!! Brit Care - well she loved it (for maybe a month?) and skin's no longer itchy. But looking at her poo the food doesn't seem fully digestible and her ears got slightly better but there's still yeast there.

So.... I'm thinking of changing her diet again.

I believe I'll give Wellness Core a try. However, even those so-called 'supreme dog foods' also use chicken meal, salmon meal etc. It's still not the best right?

I want to give my dog what I would dare to eat. So I'm thinking of preparing her food on a bi-weekly or monthly basis and freeze them in portions to give her. I'm not so comfortable feeding raw so I'll be boiling everything. Are the following ingredients ok?

Chicken Breast / Minced Beef / Minced Mutton (on rotation basis)
Pureed Pig liver (maybe giving raw) / Raw Egg
Carrot
Mashed Sweet Potato (Purple skin and yellow flesh type)
Apple boiled and pureed / Banana (to go into her breakfast)
Brocolli /Spinach (any problems with freezing?)
Cooked Brown Rice

I'll portion the ingredients so that there's:
60wt% Meat Protein
30wt% Fruits/Veggies
10wt% Carbo

Has anyone tried home-cooked dog food before? Any comments on my recipe? Any tried and tested recipes out there?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sounds good! Use about 5% liver for really valuable nutrition. If you use about 10-15% fatty fish like canned or fresh salmon, mackerel, sardine, herring, etc you might not need fish oil. I wouldn't use brown rice, something about the bran is bad for taurine and some dogs have trouble making taurine. Use white rice instead but you might even try leaving grains out of the diet entirely. Make good and sure the grains and veggies are cooked to a mush or pureed well or the dog won't get much out of them.

Use more red meat like beef, pork and lamb than chicken and turkey as they generally have more iron, zinc and such.

Most important, use about 1/2 tsp powdered egg shell per pound of meaty stuff or the equivalent of 900 mg calcium in human grade bone meal.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Sounds good! Use about 5% liver for really valuable nutrition. If you use about 10-15% fatty fish like canned or fresh salmon, mackerel, sardine, herring, etc you might not need fish oil. I wouldn't use brown rice, something about the bran is bad for taurine and some dogs have trouble making taurine. Use white rice instead but you might even try leaving grains out of the diet entirely. Make good and sure the grains and veggies are cooked to a mush or pureed well or the dog won't get much out of them.

Use more red meat like beef, pork and lamb than chicken and turkey as they generally have more iron, zinc and such.

Most important, use about 1/2 tsp powdered egg shell per pound of meaty stuff or the equivalent of 900 mg calcium in human grade bone meal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you feed home cooked, right? I hope I have the right poster :)
Is powdered egg shell something you have to make on your own (get the eggs, powder the shells), or can you buy powdered egg shell? Or can you use powdered calcium instead of egg shell?
I think home cooked is harder to do than raw, and I respect people who home cook and do it right! :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yes, powder the shells from eggs used at home. Bake or microwave them so they are crispy and will go into a powder. I used a coffee grinder but a mortar and pestle could work as well. I used calcium carbonate for Sassy as egg shell does have something like 8 mg of phosphorus per some unit or another.

It is more work but it is good stuff. Sassy's teeth didn't get as dirty on gooey home cooking as they were on kibble even. And her anal sacs mostly stopped backing up so she didn't smell as bad.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Yes, powder the shells from eggs used at home. Bake or microwave them so they are crispy and will go into a powder. I used a coffee grinder but a mortar and pestle could work as well. I used calcium carbonate for Sassy as egg shell does have something like 8 mg of phosphorus per some unit or another.

It is more work but it is good stuff. Sassy's teeth didn't get as dirty on gooey home cooking as they were on kibble even. And her anal sacs mostly stopped backing up so she didn't smell as bad.
Thanks for the info! Good to have on hand in case I ever have one that needs home cooked. WDJ did an excellent series on home cooked diets a few years back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts