Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have your dog(s) on Holistic food? What do you think of it?

We ran into a rep for Blue Buffalo at a pet store yesterday and she told us about all of the benefits of Holistic food in general and why Blue Buffalo makes the best holistic food. We have 3 dogs two are older (10+ years) and one puppy. The puppy is on Purina One. The other two are on Purina Fit and Trim. Every dog I have ever had has been on Purina products. Every dog I have ever owned has lived to be fairly old-12+. I have no reason to believe that Purina is that bad. However, as my oldest dog is declining I am willing to try something else if it improves her quality of life. She has bad arthritis and has trouble getting around. She has lost most of her hair on her tail from presumably some type of allergy.

When I told the Blue Buffalo rep about these issues she claimed we would see drastic improvements. She blamed our issues on the food we used. I am skeptical since Purina has always been good to me and my pets in the past. I would expect to see some decline in a dog that is 12 years old. I do not think that is Purina's fault. My 10 year old dog still acts like he is a puppy and is on the same food.

So does anyone have any thoughts on holistic dog food? Has there been any medical research that supports holistic food as a "wonder drug?"

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey eats a holistic food.. I don't know if it's a miracle food or anything, but she likes it and is healthy on it. She has done better on the holistic food than on the same company's regular adult food.. but I don't know if that is because it is holistic, or because she just does better on these ingredients. She is still having some issues with being itchy from time to time, so I'm thinking of switching from the Chicken to the Duck and Potato recipie..

I'm not sure that a holistic food would help your dog at this point.. I think it's probably more of an "eat it your whole life and see a difference" kind of thing, just like I good diet for humans is.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What do you consider "holistic" food? There is no proper or legal definition for the term. Personally, I feed my dogs a kibble that does not contain corn, wheat, soy, or meat by-products. They have shown to be sensitive to these ingredients.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
What do you consider "holistic" food? There is no proper or legal definition for the term. Personally, I feed my dogs a kibble that does not contain corn, wheat, soy, or meat by-products. They have shown to be sensitive to these ingredients.
Exactly. Holistic hardly means anything at all.. on a bag of dog food it just means the food is created based on the belief of 'wholeness' and everything working together. It does not necessarily ensure quality.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
My dogs eat Innova EVO and TOTW, plus poached fresh meat and poultry, and other whole foods. I don't choose to give a food that has animal by products, corn, and grains. Purina has all that and more, so I don't buy it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried my Bella on a few different premium puppy foods and she did horribly on them. She had diarreah and some vomiting. When I switched over to Purina Puppy Chow she never had anymore upset tummy and her stools were small and firm. She also had a soft, shiney, thick coat and good energy. Now that she is one I have her on Purina One dog food and she is doing great on it too. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I wouldn't worry about finding a holistic food as much as I'd worry about finding a natural food without things like corn, soy, by-products, artificial preservatives like ethoxyquin, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow this thread took off!!! It looks like there is some debate going on.

Willowy-I am not the one defining holistic food nor do I know what the exact definition is. I do know that at my local pet store they have an entire section devoted to it. The store is a national chain (are we allowed to use store names?) and i would imagine that you would have a similar section at your local pet store. I also know that you cannot find it at a grocery store or big box retailer.

poodleholic-your dog eats better than I do. When is the next feeding time? I will make sure I am there for it. :)

Several of you mentioned to avoid corn which is something the Blue Buffalo rep said as well. It is a filler that is common in many dog foods. I looked at our Purina One puppy food and corn is listed twice.

This is a lost of ingredients I found on their website:

Real meat, fish or poultry is always the first ingredient in our dry formulas, followed by whole grains, garden veggies and fruit—plus we add our exclusive LifeSource® Bits.

LifeSource Bits contain a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists. These include ingredients that have been shown to help strengthen your pet’s immune system, support their specific life stage requirements and protect them from the negative impact of environmental toxins.

Plus, unlike other brands that add vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, we cold-form LifeSource Bits to help maintain the full nutritional potency of their ingredients. This is an important difference between BLUE and all the other brands because they process exclusively with heat, and heat can destroy the potency of antioxidants by up to 75%.

I have to admit it is impressive. I am trying it out with my older dogs. I am only doing a little bit with their current food. I will do a 50/50 mix starting next week. Our puppy remains on Purina One puppy food.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I only feed holistic type foods. I've never seen a dog in great condition on middle of the road foods. Plenty of their owners have considered those dogs to be in great condition, but I guess it's a difference in opinion. I've seen everything from dry coat, lots of shedding, greasy coat, yeasty ears and pinkish stains on paws.

I like Fromm, Orijen, Before Grain, Eagle Pack Holistic and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

Edited to add that every single dog I've had improved in condition after being switched from foods like Eukanuba and Puppy Chow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I feed my dog Blue Buffalo and she's very healthy.She's muscular(much more so than the other 2 dogs in our pack which happen to both eat Purina)and has great energy. Blue is a solid dog food but after doing more research I'm going to switch her to a grain-free. Check dogfoodanalysis.com for more info and to compare brands...Blue is a 4* and I'd like to stay in the 6* range.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I've never fed a "grocery store" food. For my kids, the got good food, a balanced diet and "fast food" only very occassionally. IMO, I owe it to my dogs to do the same and that's not food I can buy at the grocery store. Those kinds of foods are, IMO, like feeding your dog McDonald's almost every single meal. So, my dogs have had a wide variety of high quality foods, I rotate so I have a few that work for the dogs. If I fed what you feed, I'd feel very guilty but this is just ME. If you say it works for your dogs, that's your business. You mentioned an older dog...if this dog happens to be at all overweight, try to have him lose some because it's better to have leaner older dogs, as their joints start to "go". I have two senior age dogs, they are on grainfree as it has been said that grainfree works best for dogs with arthritis, which one of mine has.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts