Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research on natural diuretics for my dog, and I have a few questions for which I can't find answers online.

The best natural diuretic I'm finding is dandelion. I actually don't have a lot of wild dandelion (irony, I've spent YEARS trying to de-weed my lawn!), but I was able to find a few (and confirmed that they're actually dandelion using a plant app).

Based on what I've read, the best option right now is to get him to eat 3 raw leaves, and not worry about the root until Fall. So I tore off some leaves, then washed them well in the kitchen. I tried one of the small ones, it tastes like kale to me... so I shredded the rest of the leaf minus the stem, mixed it with peanut butter, and let my dog eat it. No real problems there!

So the first question is: do I need the stem that holds both sides of the leaves together? Not the flower stem, but the thin stem that runs down the middle of the leaf.

Second question is: is kale an effective diuretic, too? I have plenty of kale!

Any other suggestions on this? Right now he's mainly eating boiled chicken and rice, so I thought about cooking dandelion leaves in with the rice and then removing the leaves... more or less making a tea and rice at the same time. But I'm afraid that the flavor or smell might turn him off of the rice.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
A diuretic is a diuretic, whether it's "holistic" or a pill from the pharmacy. Dose and delivery should be determined by the advice of a vet, particularly in a medically fragile elderly animal. Didn't you just post that you'd found a vet other than the two vets you won't have anything to do with? This (and whether the dog should be taking a diuretic in the first place) is a question for that vet, not for internet randos.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the vet that would come to my home only offers rabies vaccines and euthanasia :(

I know that he has fluid built up in his abdomen, though, so I'm just trying to help him release it. As far as I can tell, 2 or 3 leaves a day can't possibly hurt... but may help.

So I'm not asking for medical advice (which I understand is forbidden by the forum), I'm just hoping to hear from others on whether the stem is relevant, and whether kale is an effective diuretic in lieu of dandelion :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.