Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg So, my new dog (Bailey-G.Shepherd/R.Heeler) is a new rescue directly from the streets. One behavior I am noticing is if I give her a treat/chew-bone/reward/or her food, she tends to try to search all the rooms of the house while holding it in her mouth for a place to store/hide it for safekeeping.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to break the habit? Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to break the habit?

Other than this one quirk, she is an amazing dog and loyal companion already. So thank you to anyone who can help me better her life by letting her know it is ok that she has her treat, food, etc. now and not worry about saving it!

Thanks from a concerned owner
Coby

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had a dog that I raised from puppyhood that did that. Why do you want to break the habit, out of curiosity?

My dog did it her whole life, it never occurred to me to not let her do it so I never tried to stop her. I mean do you eat ice cream because someone gives it to you and you are not hungry, or do you put it in the freezer and save it for later when you are in the mood to eat it?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
All of my GSD's had their favorite places some better then others, like opening boxes and closing the box.. then there was Major who thought pushing it up against the base board out in the open was the perfect spot ... NOT... especially with all the other dogs on the couch watching him and waiting for him to walk away to go get it ... lol ... I never stopped them,, for wanting to do it for treats and bones... Parts of their raw meals I had to step in that chicken legs behind the computer desk was not a good idea :) Congratulations on your new pup..

·
Registered
878 Posts
A dog we had from puppyhood would also 'bury' his bones around the house and we never stopped him. He would usually find them / eat them after a few days - we just had to ignore them in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
some dogs hide things (bones, toys, sticks in the yard, etc.). i don't think they're worried about what they're hiding. i've had 2 dogs
that hid things, what was theirs and what wasn't theirs. i never tried to stop them from hiding things. it's natural behaviour.

View attachment 160073

So, my new dog (Bailey-G.Shepherd/R.Heeler) is a new rescue directly from the streets. One behavior I am noticing is if I give her a treat/chew-bone/reward/or her food, she tends to try to search all the rooms of the house while holding it in her mouth for a place to store/hide it for safekeeping.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to break the habit? Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to break the habit?

Other than this one quirk, she is an amazing dog and loyal companion already.

>>>>> So thank you to anyone who can help me better her life by letting her know it is ok that she has her treat, food, etc.
now and not worry about saving it!<<<<<

Thanks from a concerned owner
Coby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much that it bothers me but my landlord had put new carpet in the house before I moved in less than a year ago and i am just trying to make sure that she doesn't destroy it. Don't get me Wrong I want her to have as much out of life as she can and if having funny little quirks like hiding and finding toys and such that is fine; the problem comes when she starts "digging" in the carpet that it worries me is all. Was just wondering tricks to maybe deter the destructive portion of the behavior is all.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
There is nothing wrong with stepping in about the carpet be more focused on where they can go with their treat.. like leading them over to their dog bed having them lay down and give them the treat there. When I was feeding lamb necks all the dogs needed to get their lamb neck and go back over to the blankets I had on the floor to eat on them so they would not get blood and meat all over the place as I could just wash the blankets. They were able to learn that.. just think of what would be a better activity and place and focus on interrupting the carpet digging and leading them to where they can have their treat or toy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing wrong with stepping in about the carpet be more focused on where they can go with their treat.. like leading them over to their dog bed having them lay down and give them the treat there. When I was feeding lamb necks all the dogs needed to get their lamb neck and go back over to the blankets I had on the floor to eat on them so they would not get blood and meat all over the place as I could just wash the blankets. They were able to learn that.. just think of what would be a better activity and place and focus on interrupting the carpet digging and leading them to where they can have their treat or toy.
Thanks! I will have to try that. She has a good sized cushion she likes a lot so it might be easy to get her used to that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts