Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have an idea what the ratio of BYBs to Ethical breeders there are? I know a good breeder is hard to define, but at least we know some of the glaring red flags of a BYB are when we see them.

I'd like to think that the world is a good place, and that there are lots of ethical breeders out there in the world. But more then likely, they're a rare "breed" (Hehe) and are overshadowed by the sheer number of breeders that simply don't care as much, and just want their money. =(

So what do you think? And.. how would one actually go about counting them to figure out said ratio? XD

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I think a lot depends on how tightly you're defining a responsible breeder. At the bare minimum (requires spay/neuter at appropriate age on PQ puppies, health testing and breeding for general soundness, requires return if owner cannot keep, I know there's another criteria I'm forgetting), I think it's probably about 1 in 20 or so.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I would suspect that there are more BYBs for the "popular" breeds, like labs and goldens and less for the "unpopular" breeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts