Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya my dog (sasha) is 5 in june i have stud for her but hes only 14 weeks at the moment whats the oldest sasha can breed to it will be her first litter and how old will the stud have to be to start? xx

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
How could you possibly know at 14 weeks old if the dog would be a suitable stud dog? By the time he is proven your bitch will be or close to 7. I wouldn't breed a dog that age.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
He needs to be at least two years old to pass his health testing, that's the bare minimum. He also needs to have proven that there is a reason he SHOULD be used for breeding. Having testicles is not a reason.

·
Registered
943 Posts
All I have to say about this is: No.
How could you possibly know at 14 weeks old if the dog would be a suitable stud dog? By the time he is proven your bitch will be or close to 7. I wouldn't breed a dog that age.
He needs to be at least two years old to pass his health testing, that's the bare minimum. He also needs to have proven that there is a reason he SHOULD be used for breeding. Having testicles is not a reason.
All of these.. and your female should be proven and health tested as well. I really hope your not a BYB. Shame on you.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
THIS....(Message too short)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
hiya my dog (sasha) is 5 in june i have stud for her but hes only 14 weeks at the moment whats the oldest sasha can breed to it will be her first litter and how old will the stud have to be to start? xx
An older virgin bitch is less likely to conceive and more likely to have complications. By the time the male is old enough, she will be 7 - technically a senior dog. What are your reasons for wanting to breed her? What breed is she, and have you done the health clearances recommended for the breed? Examples: hip and elbow xrays, eye checks, dna test for problems specific to the breed, etc. I won't even ask about health clearances for the male, since he won't be old enough for much of it until he is two. What are the things about Sasha that make her breed-worthy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts