Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been looking around this site for over an hour and I guess I'm not finding what I need, so thought I'd post it here. We rescured our little girl on New Years Eve, she's 2 months old. She was eating Science Diet. The rescue gave us a baggy full and said to give it to her that night, then mix 75% old food with 25% new food on the next feeding, then 50/%50 and so on until she's total on the new food. Her new food is Blue Buffalo Puppy formula (chicken/brown rice). The rescue suggested we put her on a food that had protien listed for the first two ingredience, which is why we picked this. The first night she ate very little, maybe a couple dozen pices. We figured this was due ot nerves. She has gradually eaten less and less. This morning, she lietterally had about 6 pieces. She's still very playful and her bowles are a little loose, we were told this is normal becuase we're changing her food. We're just a little worried about the lack of eating she is doing. At her foster home she was with a brother and sister and she was the smallest one. Wondering now if that is because she wasn't eating good there either. I've tried adding warm water, she wouldn't eat any of it when I did that. She has a vet appointment in about a week and a half but we don't think we should wait that long. Do you think it's just SA or problems. Should we put her back on Science Diet? I know she does show other signs of SA, we cannot leave her alone at all. We tried crate training and as soon as we're out of physical touching zone she freaks out. All she needs is to lay enxt to our feet and lean into us and she's fine. OK, I guess I should low down a little, we're just worried about Mya and are hoping someone has some ideas for us. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hello and welcome! :)

I do not know much about SA. I would though try to boil a little chicken breast ( boneless) and add a little cooked white soft rice and see if she will eat this. Be sure she is drinking water. If she is not drinking you can give a little water or the cooled juice from the boiled chicken in a medicine dropper or turkey baster and put a little in her mouth at a time to keep her hydrated. You do not want her to dehydrate.

I personally would call her vet and explain the circumstances ... you may need to up her appointment date. This is just my opinion and what I would do. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! She's nibbling on her food more and her stools are solid again. She has been drinking water the whole time. Just to make sure all is ok, she has an appointment with the vet today.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Thanks for the input! She's nibbling on her food more and her stools are solid again. She has been drinking water the whole time. Just to make sure all is ok, she has an appointment with the vet today.
This is all good! :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Welcome to DF!
Good to hear she is doing bette. Keep us updated on what the vet says. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning everyone, just wanted to update ya'll on Mya. She's doing so much better. I took her to the vet and talk about a scary moment. First they told us they had to run some tests including one for Parvo. As soon as they said the word my heart just started racing. Turned out negative, thank god! She did however have a parasite, coccidia. I'd never heard of it. She also came to us extremely gassy. She is on oral medication for 14 days to kill the coccidia and also on a special canned food for a few days to help eliminate the gas in her poor little belly. We couldn't believe the difference. We've only had her for a week and this morning it was like a whole different puppy. We finally have the puppy we wanted. You know the one you have to follow around everywhere and constantly redirect, can never have enough TOYS! She's so awsome and on the road to recovery.

I'd post a pic but i'm having trouble getting to the album area to do so. I do have one on my profile however it doesn't appear to be showing, no idea why?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts