Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 1yrs old German Shep/ Husky mix has had a slight limp every once in awhile...and today I noticed on that back leg hip it is swollen. first off, I made a vet appt...but would like to get some info since the visit isnt till tomorrow.

Any thoughts??

thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
342 Posts
It could be a ton of things. Anything from a pulled or torn muscle or ligament to hip dysplasia or panosteitis. It could be nothing serious. It could be very serious. In any case, the vet will probably take xrays, if he doesn't, ask why. If he prescribes meds, ask if your dog should be crate rested, or what physical limits, if any you need to place and for how long. When should you start seeing improvement? When should you come back for a recheck? Check if chiropractic care might be beneficial. Ask about joint supplements, such as cosequin. I might be more helpful once you hear what the diagnosis is. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thanks.....Vet said, its a hemitomia(sp?). He said a blood vessel must have ruptured and the lump is just fluid that collected. Rocco is on meds to bring down the swelling first. He didn’t want to cut him to drain it…cause this might do the job. I also need to apply an ice pack to him a couple times a day…LOL…good luck there!

If it doesn’t go down by next week I need to take him back. Good news all in all.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Thank goodness it's not something worse. I guess your dog and Rothleisberger have something in common. Your dog doesn't ride motorcyles, does it? Just kidding. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts